To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values-integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion - must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
Reports To The Manager, Crisis Service Of The Inpatient Psychiatric Unit Or His/Her Designee. The Registered Nurse (Rn) Assesses, Plans, Implements, Evaluates And Supervises Individual Care Of The Behavioral Health Patients Referred To The Psychiatric Crisis Unit In The Emergency Department According To All Current Policies And Procedures. The Rn May Provide Supervision Of Non-Rn (Nursing) Personnel I.E. Pca. The Rn May Be Required To Work On The Inpatient Psychiatric Unit As Needed. Performs Other Duties As Assigned Or Requested In Order To Maintain A High Level Of Service. Works Collaboratively With The Crisis Clinicians For The Care And Disposition Of Behavioral Patient Presenting In The Ed.
Responsibilities: 1. Assesses The Patient?S Physical And Psychosocial Condition On An Ongoing Basis Throughout The Continuum Of Care.
2. Develops, Communicates And Documents A Plan Of Care Reflecting Individualized Patient Problems And Interventions To Achieve Desired Outcomes, Involving The Patient, Family And Healthcare Team In This Process.
3. Implements And Coordinates This Plan Of Care In Collaboration With The Healthcare Team.
4. Evaluates The Effectiveness Of The Plan Of Care, Patient?S Response To Care, And Readiness For Discharge. Revises The Plan Of Care As Needed And Makes Referrals Where Indicated.
5. Plans For Education After Assessing The Individual Learning Needs And Readiness Of The Patient And Family. Provides Educational Opportunities And Documents Outcomes.
6. Functions As A Preceptor To New Staff.
7. May Be Required To Assume Charge On The Inpatient Psychiatric Unit.
8. Demonstrates The Ability To Provide A Safe Environment For Self And Patients.
9. Meets Performance Expectations For Customer Service, Teamwork, Resource Utilization, And Staff And Self Development As Outlined In Performance Review.
10. Performs Other Duties As Assigned Or Directed To Ensure Smooth Operation Of The Department/Unit.
11. May Float In Patient Psych Unit As Needed.
12. Promotes A Safe Environment For The Protection Of The Patient And Others From Injury, And Effectively Manages Crisis Situations And Treatment Interactions With Due Respect For Patient Rights, Legal/Ethical Obligations, And The Therapeutic Goals Of Any Interventions Used.
13. Coordinates The Function Of The Therapeutic Milieu, And Encourages Participation In The Community, Promoting A Caring Atmosphere.
14. Demonstrates The Ability To Establish A Meaningful Therapeutic Relationship And Gain Patient?S Trust And Cooperation.
15. Promotes A Therapeutic Environment With Opportunities To Learn To Identify Psychodynamic And Alternative Coping Mechanisms To Problems.
16. Demonstrates The Ability To Set Clear And Realistic Expectations With The Patient.
17. Demonstrates An Understanding Of Group Dynamics And Effectively Leads Designated Treatment Groups.
18. Provides Opportunities For Patient To Make Decisions And Assume Responsibility For Self, Feeling And Goals, And Work Through Transference And Counter-Transference Issues.
19. Demonstrates The Ability To Give And Receive Constructive Feedback.
20. Provides Ongoing Psychiatric Nursing Assessment And Stabilization By Maintaining Honest And Non-Judgmental Role By Accepting The Patient As An Individual.
21. Provides Psych Education To Patients And Families.
Graduate Of An Accredited School Of Nursing; Bsn Preferred. Proficient In Use Of Computer Software To Include Electronic Patient Records. Must Have Ability To Use Internet For Literature Searches Regarding Care For Patients.
Nine Months Psych Experience Or 1 Year Ed Experience.
Valid State Of Connecticut Registered Nurse License
Hospital And Unit-Based Orientation Provided