Position located at Yale New Haven Hospital To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values-integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion - must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day. EEO/AA/Disability/Veteran Summary: The primary function of the Physician Assistant is to provide comprehensive medical care for the Orthopaedic patient under the direct supervision of the attending physician. Clinical responsibilities will include: evaluating patients, entering patient care orders, performing procedures, providing education, collaboration wtihin the multidisciplinary team, preparing patients for discharge and the communication and documentation of all patient care activities. The goal of the PA is to provide high quality, consistent patient care in a cost efficient, safe manner while adhering to best practice and achieving optimal outcomes and excellent patient satisfaction. Responsibilities:
1. Admit patients. Perform and document complete H&P. Enter appropriate information and orders into EMR
2. Order and obtain necessary diagnostic tests including imaging studies and laboratory tests. Follow through on interpretation of results and communicate with team.
3. Request consultations from other services, obtain appropriate work up and follow through on recommendations
4. Participate in daily rounds and assist with implementing managerment plan in collaboration with multidisciplinary team and attending
5. Enter, review, and update orders in EMR to include: PT, OT, Speech, IV therapy, medications, restraints, patient care, discharge orders
6. Address patient concerns brought forth by nursing staff
7. Document patient encounters into EMR including, but not limited to: progress, event, procedure or transfer notes
8. Perform procedures asd credentialed.
9. Provide on call coverage as relevant to scheduled hours
10. assist with evaluation and management of clinic patients with attending supervision
11. participate i formal hand off/transition of care process including EMR sign out
12. work to achieve efficient, cost effective, patient centered high quality care, follow evidence based standards/practice
13. assist in operating room and perform bedside procedures to include documentation as per privileges
14. prepare discharge documentation including instructions, prescriptions (within realm of CT statute and organizational bylaws, summaries, referrals (w-10)
15. Partiicipate in QI and PI activities
16. Participate in special projects at request of Manager, Dept Head, Chair
17. Participate in CME and maintain NCCPA requirements, attend dept conferences as relevant
18. assist with onboarding of new staff
19. participate in education of fellows residents, medical/ PA/APRN students
20. adhere to schedule guidelines and departmental policy and procedures
21. promote positive work environment, adhere to spirit of "YNHH Service Excellence" pledge.
22. Provide specialty specific education to patients and families to include periop expectations, treatment plans, discharge care.
23. participate in research projects as relevant
24. Serve as patient advocate
25. collaborate with multidisciplinary tearm in the development of a comprehensive care plan
26. communicate treatment plans to collaborating/referral MDs, care coordinators, social workers, health care agencies as appropriate while adhering to HIPAA policy.
27. compliance with standard billing practices to include appropriate documentation, and corporate compliance Other information:
Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Art degree and graduation from an approved Physician Assistant program required. Certified as a Physician Assistant by the National Commission on the Certification of Physician Assistants (NCCPA).
one to three years of patient care experience in inpatient setting preferred
current state license as Physician Assistant and certification maintenance by NCCPA
excellent clinical, interpersonal and communication skills. Ability to work wtih a diverse group of providers across the health care continuum. Computer skills preferred. ACCOUNTABILITY:
dual reporting structure with accountability to supervising physician and Lead/Clinical/PA Manager. Medical supervision and direction by supervising physician of record and attending staff in order to ensure safe, hight quality patient care practices, accurate and complete documentation of patient care activities. Administrative oversight is provided by Lead/PA Manager. Annual performance reviews are conducted with input from attending staff, resident, PA and multidisciplinary team COMPLEXITY:
follows standard medical practices in the evaluation, treatment, and management of patients. Communicates with physician team as appropriate and provides appropriate documentation in a timely manner. PHYSICAL_DEMAND:
MMR is required. Varivax (chicken pox vaccine) or evidence of prior chicken pox is required. Hepatitis B (or signed declination) is required for those with potential exposure to blood/body fluids. Tdap and influenza vaccination are strongly encouraged.
Not ready to apply, but interested in working at Yale New Haven Health?