Primary Care Advanced Nurse Practitioner - New London, CT
Summary: A nurse practitioner is a licensed, practitioner who is responsible for providing and coordinating primary care to an identified panel of patients including history, assessment, planning, intervention and consultation. The APRN works collaboratively within the practice support staff, with other APCs, and physicians, and utilizes a team approach in the care of the patient. The APC may diagnose illness and physical conditions and perform or order therapeutic and corrective measures. Assesses the physical and psychosocial status of patients by interview, health history, physical exam and diagnostic tests. Participates in quality and patient satisfaction improvement initiatives. Carries out responsibilities independently, if so certified, or with minimal need for supervision if not so certified. Maintains practice within the defined scope of practice for an APRN
Exemplifies behaviors reflecting Service Excellence and support of the Strategic Dimensions by modeling the Core Success Factors as described in the Performance Review.
1. May function independently and may maintain a panel of patients as the assigned PCP
2. Demonstrates excellence in the completion of patient history and physical exams and assessment appropriate to patient population
3. Demonstrates proficiency in treatment plans and interventions, working collaboratively with other APCs, physicians, or specialists when indicated. Prescribes appropriate pharmacologic and non-pharmacologic treatment modalities
4. Direct and provide clinical supervision to nursing staff as appropriate. Serves as a resource for nursing staff and APRN students when indicated.
5. Serves as a resource for families
6. Integrates ethical principles in all areas of practice.
7. Maintains regular communication with patients, families, and colleagues as appropriate regarding progress and treatment plans.
8. Facilitates staff, patient and family decision making by providing educational tools. EDUCATION: Educational preparation at the Master's Level of nursing. Graduation from an accredited Advanced Nurse Practitioner program required. In addition, holds a BSN degree from an accredited institution.
EXPERIENCE: 1-3 years clinical experience related to outpatient primary care, preferred
LICENSURE: Certified as APRN by the Nursing Certification Board or American Nurses Credentialing Center. Must hold a valid State Controlled Substance Registration, a Federal Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) Certification, a valid State RN and APRN license. May hold a State Independent Practice license if qualified.
SPECIAL_SKILLS: Excellent clinical, interpersonal, and organizational skills. Ability to work independently.
ACCOUNTABILITY: Accountable to conduct accurate and appropriate evaluation, care, and coordination of care and resources for patients.
COMPLEXITY: Evaluates, manages and coordinates care of patients in collaboration with other APCs and physicians