To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values-integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion - must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
Prepares Slides From Surgical And Autopsy Materials For Examination By Pathologist For Diagnosis. Must Meet Daily Deadlines For Distribution Of Slides And Work Without Constant Supervision. Must Have Technical Ability And A Strong Sense Of Responsibility Toward The Patient.
Responsibilities: 1. 1. Follows All Laboratory And Hospital Safety Policies.
2. 2. Operates All Department Equipment Safely And According To Manufacturer Guidelines. Performs 3. Preventative Maintenance And Troubleshoots Instrument Failures To Best Of Ability Alerting Proper Personnel 4. Of Equipment Problems.
5. 3. Follows All Department Qc Procedures And Troubleshoots Qc Failures With Proper Documentation.
6. 4. Takes Part In Inter And Intra-Department Qa Initiatives.
7. 5. Responds To Department Staffing Needs By Covering Extra Shifts When Necessary.
8. 6. Maintains Technical Competency And Seeks Clarification When Necessary.
9. 7. Effectively Utilizes All Necessary Lab Information Functions.
10. 8. Assists Supervisor In Maintaining Adequate Inventory Of Reagents And Supplies Necessary For Testing.
11. 9. Meets Performance Expectations For Customer Service, Teamwork, Resource Utilization, And Staff And 12. Self Development As Outlined In Performance Review.
13. 10. Performs Other Duties As Assigned Or Directed To Ensure Smooth Operation Of The Department/Unit.
14. 1. Checks Identification And Prepares Surgical Specimens For Gross Examination By Pathologist.
15. Loads Surgical Specimens In Autotechnicon And Sets/Checks Time Setting.
16. Short Accessions Surgical Specimens For Frozen Sections And Other Urgent Procedures.
17. 4. Maintains Positive Specimen Identification Throughout Specimen Processing.
18. 5. Cuts Embedded Surgical Specimens Using Rotary Microtome.
19. 6. Deparaffinizes Cut Sections And Performs H&E Staining.
20. 7. Performs Various Special Stains.
21. 8. Examines Specimens To Determine That They Meet Established Standards.
22. 9. Coordinates Slides And Pathology Reports, And Takes To Pathologist For Diagnosis.
23. 10. Prepares And Maintains Reagents, Solutions And Stains, According To Standard Formulae.
•Successfully Completed A Naacls Accredited Histotechnician Program Within The Last 5 Years. This Requirement Is Waived For Individuals Who Have A Current Ht(Ascp) Certification
At Least Three Years Of Experience In Histological Techniques Preferred.
American Society Of Clinical Pathologists (Ht-Ascp) Preferred.
•Clear Written And Verbal Communication Skills Required.
On-The-Job Training Under Supervision Of Supervisor And Pathologists.