To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values-integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion - must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
Accurately registers patients and performs laboratory order entry in the hospital EMR. Obtains venous blood samples via venipuncture/skin puncture and collects non-blood samples from patients of all ages using proper technique.
MAJOR ACCOUNTABILITIES/CRITICAL RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Conducts interviews with patients in person. Enters accurate and complete demographic and insurance information for visit.
2. Correctly identifies and wristbands laboratory patients
3. Administers and obtains signatures on all necessary regulatory forms (e.g. HIPAA disclosure, Patient Financial Authorization, Medicare Secondary Payer questionnaire information).
4. Accurately transcribes laboratory orders from paper requisitions including ordering provider, entering ICD (X) codes, copy to provider and fax/phone requests.
5. Performs Medical Necessity Screening and issues Advance Beneficiary Notices to patients when appropriate.
6. Scans patient identification, insurance cards and laboratory requisitions in a timely manner to ensure information is available electronically.
7. Follows downtime procedures as required
8. Collects a high volume of blood specimens (skin puncture and venipuncture), nasal and throat swabs and other non-blood specimens using appropriate technique while maintaining the integrity of the specimen in relation to the test to be performed.
9. Utilizes systems for identification, collection, transport and disposal of specimens, adhering to internal and external policies and regulations.
10. Ensures all required elements are included on laboratory requisitions for compliance.
11. Verifies accuracy of all paper and/or electronic orders prior to collection of specimens.
12. Organizes and prioritizes work to provide optimal patient care while adhering to established guidelines for specimen procurement, safety and correct identification.
13. Recognizes and evaluates the presence of complications in collecting blood and selects appropriate solutions for them (e.g. patients on anticoagulants, radical mastectomy, syncope, difficult veins, IV\u2019s).
14. Performs all duties precisely and efficiently under continually changing conditions.
15. Instructs patients on preparation for special tests and/or provides specimen collection instructions as appropriate.
16. Responsible for proper care and use of hospital equipment (e.g. hand-held collection devices, computers, printers, etc.).
17. Adheres to all safety procedures in the handling of hazardous materials and blood borne pathogens.
18. Follows all procedures on safe patient interactions and body mechanics.
19. Maintains clean, well-stocked work areas.
20. Meets performance expectations for Customer Service, Teamwork, Resource Utilization, and Staff and Self Development as outlined in performance review.
21. Performs other duties as assigned or directed to ensure smooth operation of the department/unit.
Education: High School diploma required. Formal education and/or clinical training from an approved phlebotomy program preferred.
Experience: Previous phlebotomy experience and/or phlebotomy certification required. Good keyboarding skills, computer experience and excellent customer service required.
Training: Department training for EMR use, registration and order entry functions along with one-on-one phlebotomy training.
Licensure: Valid driver\u2019s license required.
Other: ASCP certification preferred.