To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values-integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion - must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
Prepares high quality short order hot food items; reheats and/or reconstitutes food items for patients, staff, and visitors according to specific procedures and in appropriate quantities needed for daily food service production. The Short Order Cook must be able to prepare and process multiple requests at a given time, and provide customers (both internal and external) with outstanding Customer Service. (Up to 20 points within the Responsibilities Section may be reallocated based upon the actual task assignments performed by an employee during the review period.) Demonstrates and role models outstanding customer service and the Key Behaviors outlined in the Hospital's Core Success Factors in all interactions.
1. SET-UP AND PREPARATION - Sets up food prep area with appropriate par levels of food items and equipment needed to maintain an efficient flow of work and production. Participates in Culinary Planning Meetings related to food production with no more than two absences per quarter, as observed by the supervisor.
2. HOT FOOD PRODUCTION - Prepares high quality grilled, sauteed, and deep fat fried food items according to meal tickets or customer orders for service to patients, staff, and visitors following procedures provided. Appropriately tempers, reconstitutes and reheats prepared food items. Prepares plates attractively, following plating procedures, portion control guidelines and garnishes as defined. Coordinates timing, prioritizes, and juggles customer orders and/or meal tickets in order to maintain time lines (cafeteria customers, kitchen patient tray line 20 minute window), and manage multiple orders at a time.
3. FOOD PRODUCTION EQUIPMENT - Demonstrates competency in the proper operation, care and maintenance of equipment used (e.g. grill, deep-fat fryer, pizza ovens, microwave oven, pasta cooker, stoves).
4. FOOD SAFETY STANDARDS - Maintains food safety standards. Demonstrates understanding of correct food safety principles and techniques applicable to short order cooking and consistently applies these techniques. Correctly uses a calibrated thermometer to verify and document that all foods are properly cooked to specified internal temperatures. Takes corrective action and documents when proper food holding temperatures are not appropriately met. Consistently and appropriately covers, labels, dates, and stores all food items under responsibility. Reports any food products of questionable quality to supervisor. Rotates stock according to FIFO following departmental policy.
5. ROLE MODEL AND TRAINER - Provides On -the-Job Training of new employees in kitchen or catering. Develops newer associates and acts as a role model. Independently utilized knowledge of kitchen procedures as necessary to resolve issues and/or ensure customer needs are met. Assists manager in conducting in-service training as required.
6. SANITATION AND PERSONAL HYGIENE - Consistently follows established sanitation and personal hygiene guidelines to help prevent the spread of food borne illness. Maintains a clean and neat work area by adhering to the -clean as you go- policy. Proper hand washing techniques are followed at all times. Cleans and sanitizes all food handling equipment prior to use according to standard procedures. Uses and stores cleaning agents properly.
High school graduate or equivalent (GED) required. Successful completion of Culinary Basic Skills Training and Safe Food Handler Training Program preferred. Graduation from an accredited 2 yr post secondary culinary training preferred.
Sucessfully completed Short Order Cook Trainee program OR two years experience as a Grill (Short Order) Cook required. Experience in preparing food in an acute care facility desirable.
Very good oral communications skills required. Must have a demonstrated ability to read, write and understand English and to be able to communicate effectively with the Food Prep Team.. Must have demonstrated outstanding Customer Service Skills. Must be able to work well independently to prioritize work flow, in order to provide the best possible patient care and Customer Service. Knowledge of equipment
Under the supervision of an assigned Food Service manager prepares food for patients'/customers' consumption as assigned. Prepares food within established food safety standards, according to procedures provided while minimizing leftovers and waste. Demonstrates key behaviors outlined in the hospital's Core Success Factors including: Caring/Service-Oriented; Problem Solver; Team-Player; Communicator; Personally Effective & Accountable; and Open-Minded Flexible
For patients' regular or modified diets, or for customers, prepares appropriate foods following procedures provided. Demonstrates ability to independently organize and prioritize food orders to accommodate multiple requests, providing the best possible customer service and / or patient care using sound food preparation principles.
Moderate physical activity, requires ability to stand and walk more than 4 hours per day, with ability to lift, push and pull carts, pallets and food supplies (occasionally up to 50 pounds, frequently up to 30 pounds and/or continuously up to 10 pounds). Work environment involves moderate exposure to unusual elements, such as extreme temperatures, dirt, dust, fumes, smoke, unpleasant odors, and/or loud noises which require following basic safety precautions; and, working with cleaning chemicals requiring Personal Protective Equipment (PPE's) provided.