To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values-integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion - must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
For this specific position:
• See new and return office consults at assigned specialty network sites
• Evaluate, document, and develop treatment plan in collaboration with MD for:
o independent clinic sessions for return patients
o \u201durgent\u201d care patient visits
o Collaborate with care team (MD, nursing staff) with anticipatory guidance for patients
o Coordinate referrals
o Perform peer to peer reviews (advanced imaging, medications, consultations)
o Serve as liaison for patients being admitted from clinic
o Provide support to nursing staff for triage of complex call management
o Provide diagnostic and laboratory results to patients
o Perform CPOE of medication orders (infusions/oral agents), prescriptions, imaging and referrals via EMR
o Assist with FMLA, disability documentation requirements
o Facilitate operative case management with the department surgeons
• Complete and sign off on patients charts in EPIC within 48 hours of the encounter (24 hours when possible) including when referring patient to an attending surgeon for further evaluation and treatment. These notes must be completed by end of clinic that same day.
• Review EPIC inbox throughout the day and respond to queries and non-emergent calls. Complete and sign phone notes within 24 hrs after receiving the message. Department of Orthopedics is same day call back for patients.
• Ensure patient care is covered when away. This includes signing out of your EPIC in box to the on-call physician or colleague when out of the office.
• Vacation, Time Off, CME should be coordinated and approved by the collaborating physician, APP Clinical Manager.
• Ensure that communications with providers, nursing staff or patients/ parents regarding orders, testing, lab results and clinical follow up within a timely manner.
• Assist nursing staff by answering questions or providing routine education, including participation in the development of educational materials.
• Attend New Haven based Orthopedic Grand Rounds and other professional development and educations activities at minimum once a month. Can be attended remotely.
• Comply as able with any existing Section and Departmental protocols, Compliance Training, Billing Training, Hospital Training, and Annual Mandatory Training Modules.
• Must swipe when arriving and departing from assigned location, including administrative days.
• Responds to any and all electronic or telephone communication timely and professionally.
• Will utilize Mobil Heartbeat or Yale Health System email for communication of Protected Health Information.
Patient Experience: (Annual Performance Goal )
• Impacts and supports improvement in patient experience for Orthopedic patients as evidenced by patient feedback and Press Ganey patient satisfaction survey results.
• Improves patient access and wait times as evidence by departmental metrics.
• Maintains current knowledge of patient experience metrics and provides/creates opportunities for improvement within the department.
Productivity Measures: (Annual Performance Goal )
Top Goal: Ensure program growth for pediatric orthopaedic program.
• Minimum of 500 visits year 1, 1000 visits year 2, and 1500 visits year 3 and beyond
• Minimum of 7 session for week
• Session goals: 8 visits per session with add-on or scheduled
• Scheduled allows for emergent appointments
• Encounters closed in 48hrs for ambulatory visits
• In-box messages cleared, returned and documented in 72hrs
• Sessions started on time
The primary function of the Physician Assistant is to provide comprehensive medical care for the Musculoskeletal patient under the direct supervision of the attending physician. Clinical responsibilities will include: evaluating patients, entering patient care orders, performing procedures, providing education, collaboration wtihin the multidisciplinary team, preparing patients for discharge and the communication and documentation of all patient care activities.
The goal of the PA is to provide high quality, consistent patient care in a cost efficient, safe manner while adhering to best practice and achieving optimal outcomes and excellent patient satisfaction.
1. Admit patients. Perform and document complete H&P. Enter appropriate information and orders into EMR 2. Order and obtain necessary diagnostic tests including imaging studies and laboratory tests. Follow through on interpretation of results and communicate with team. 3. Request consultations from other services, obtain appropriate work up and follow through on recommendations 4. Participate in daily rounds and assist with implementing managerment plan in collaboration with multidisciplinary team and attending 5. Enter, review, and update orders in EMR to include: PT, OT, Speech, IV therapy, medications, restraints, patient care, discharge orders 6. Address patient concerns brought forth by nursing staff 7. Document patient encounters into EMR including, but not limited to: progress, event, procedure or transfer notes 8. Perform procedures asd credentialed. 9. Provide on call coverage as relevant to scheduled hours 10. assist with evaluation and management of clinic patients with attending supervision 11. participate i formal hand off/transition of care process including EMR sign out 12. work to achieve efficient, cost effective, patient centered high quality care, follow evidence based standards/practice 13. assist in operating room and perform bedside procedures to include documentation as per privileges 14. prepare discharge documentation including instructions, prescriptions (within realm of CT statute and organizational bylaws, summaries, referrals (w-10) 15. Partiicipate in QI and PI activities 16. Participate in special projects at request of Manager, Dept Head, Chair 17. Participate in CME and maintain NCCPA requirements, attend dept conferences as relevant 18. assist with onboarding of new staff 19. participate in education of fellows residents, medical/ PA/APRN students 20. adhere to schedule guidelines and departmental policy and procedures 21. promote positive work environment, adhere to spirit of "YNHH Service Excellence" pledge. 22. Provide specialty specific education to patients and families to include periop expectations, treatment plans, discharge care. 23. participate in research projects as relevant 24. Serve as patient advocate 25. collaborate with multidisciplinary tearm in the development of a comprehensive care plan 26. communicate treatment plans to collaborating/referral MDs, care coordinators, social workers, health care agencies as appropriate while adhering to HIPAA policy. 27. compliance with standard billing practices to include appropriate documentation, and corporate compliance
Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Art degree and graduation from an approved Physician Assistant program
required. Certified as a Physician Assistant by the National Commission on the Certification of Physician
one to three years of patient care experience in inpatient setting preferred
current state license as Physician Assistant and certification maintenance by NCCPA
excellent clinical, interpersonal and communication skills. Ability to work wtih a diverse group of providers across the health care continuum. Computer skills preferred.
dual reporting structure with accountability to supervising physician and Lead/Clinical/PA Manager. Medical supervision and direction by supervising physician of record and attending staff in order to ensure safe, hight quality patient care practices, accurate and complete documentation of patient care activities. Administrative oversight is provided by Lead/PA Manager. Annual performance reviews are conducted with input from attending staff, resident, PA and multidisciplinary team
follows standard medical practices in the evaluation, treatment, and management of patients. Communicates with physician team as appropriate and provides appropriate documentation in a timely manner.