To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values-integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion - must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
Provides Clinical Services And Leadership In The Coordination And Management Of Patients. The Staff Nurse Assesses, Plans, Implements, Evaluates, And Supervises Individual Patient Care According To Unit Policies And Procedures. This Individual Will Serve As The Link Between The Patient, Medical Oncology, Radiation Oncology, And Medical Infusion.
Responsibilities: 1. Assesses And Documents Patient Health Status And Identifies Health Care Needs.
2. Evaluates Laboratory Values Correctly And Notifies Physician Of Abnormalities; Assesses Continuance Of Medication.
3. Provides Instruction In The Disease Process To The Patient And Family. Emphasizes Self-Care Measures To Minimize Side Effects.
4. Verifies Chemotherapy Orders Per Protocol To Validate Drug Dosage. Demonstrates Knowledge Of Central Venous Access Devices And Their Maintenance, Mechanical Controlling Devices, Blood And Blood Component Therapy, Including Blood Transfusion, Autologous Donor Selection And Collection, And Therapeutic Phlebotomy.
5. Administers Intravenous Infusions And Injections As Ordered By The Physician Through Established Policies And Procedures. Assesses Patients? Intravenous Therapy Needs And Inserts Appropriate Vascular Access Device Accordingly.
6. Schedules Pre- And Post-Treatment Testing To Aid In Recognition Of Disease State, Treatment Plan And Toxicities. Communicates With Patients Concerning Laboratory Data, Rescheduling, And Coordinating Follow-Up Care.
7. Reassesses Patient And Works With Physicians To Provide Satisfactory Management Of Treatment-Related Side Effects.
8. In Conjunction With Social Work And Pastoral Care, Provides Counseling/Crisis Intervention For Adapting To And Coping With Changing Health Needs.
9. Coordinates Discharge Planning For Patient Home Care Needs Including Home Health Assistance, Physical And Occupational Therapies, Equipment And Hospice Services.
10. Seeks Professional Growth Of Self And Others And Attends In-Service Education Programs. Functions As A Preceptor To New Staff. Functions As A Charge Nurse, As Assigned.
11. In Conjunction With The Patient Care Manager And Clinical Research Coordinator, Collects And Maintains Protocol Information/Data And Documentation To Ensure That Research Study Protocols Are Appropriately Applied And That Study Patients Are Monitored And Reported As Required.
12. Encourages And Participates In Multidisciplinary Consultation, Tumor Conference And/Or Health Care Teams.
13. Appropriately Documents Health Care Provided According To Policies And Procedures Ensuring That Accurate Patient Charges Can Be Generated For Services Provided.
14. Assesses And Identifies Relevant Clinical Or Professional Issues Appropriate For [Nursing] Research Or Performance Improvement Initiatives And Assists Health Care Team To Keep Program Up To Date.
15. Meets Performance Expectations For Customer Service, Teamwork, Resource Utilization, And Staff And Self Development As Outlined In Performance Review.
16. Performs Other Duties As Assigned Or Directed To Ensure Smooth Operation Of The Department/Unit.
Graduate Of An Accredited School Of Nursing; Bsn Required Or Within Four Years (Matriculation Within Six Months). Ocn, Aocn, Or Cpon Certification Required. Must Have Successfully Completed Ons Chemotherapy/Biotherapy Course And Maintain Ons Provider Card.
Recent (Within One Year) And Relevant Experience In An Outpatient Oncology Setting Required. Infusion Experience Required. Proficient In Use Of Computer Software To Include Electronic Patient Records. Familiarity With Clinical Research Protocols And Data Management Preferred. Must Have Ability To Use The Internet For Literature Searches Regarding Care For Patients.
Current State Of Connecticut Registered Nurse License Required.
Excellent Communication And Interpersonal Skills; Must Be Emotionally Prepared To Care For Chronic And Or Terminally Ill Patients And Their Families. Bls Certification Required.
Flexibility To Cross-Train And Work In Radiation Oncology, Medical Oncology, Medical Infusion, And Gynecologic Oncology Nursing. Specific Training And Education For Research Studies Will Be Provided As Needed.