To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values-integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion - must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
Under the supervision of a physical therapist, implements treatment programs according to the plan of care, educates patients in treatment techniques and documents the treatment program and progress in the EMR. Works effectively with other members of the health care team to ensure the safe achievement of therapy goals.
Responsibilities: 1. Reads all physical therapy documentation, including initial examination and plan of care, noting goals and expected outcomes, indications, contraindications, precautions and safety considerations for the patient. Seeks clarification from physical therapist, as needed. Monitors medical record for changes in medical status and/or medical procedures. Communicates to the physical therapist when there are significant changes in the patient's medical status, physician referral, or when the criticality and complexity of the patient is beyond the knowledge, skills, and abilities of the PTA. 2. Provides physical therapy interventions consistant with the plan of care. Assures safety of patient and self throughout patient care. 3. Provides therapeutic exercise, which may include:
- Aerobic Capacity/Endurance Conditioning or Reconditioning
- Balance, coordination, and agility training
- Body mechanics and postural stabilization
- Flexibility exercises (Range of motion, Stretching, eg, Passive, Active, Mechanical)
- Gait training
- Neuromotor development training
- Strength, power, and endurance training for head, neck, limb, trunk, and ventilatory muscles
- Relaxation (with respect to delivery of an intervention) 4. Provides functional training in self-care and home management, which may include:
- Activities of daily living (ADL) training (Bed mobility and transfer training; Activity specific performance training)
- Device and equipment use and training
- Injury Prevention or reduction 5. Provides Manual therapy techniques:
- Therapeutic Massage
- Soft Tissue mobilization
- Passive range of motion 6. Provides application and adjustment of devices and equipment which may include:
- Adaptive devices (e.g., hospital beds, raised toilet seats)
- Assistive devices
- Orthotic and prosthetic devices
- Supportive devices, e.g., Compression garments; Elastic wraps; Soft neck collars; Slings; Supplemental oxygen 7. Utilizes breathing strategies/oxygenation, e.g., Identify patient in respiratory distress; Reposition patient to improve respiratory function; Instruct patient in a variety of breathing techniques (pursed lip breathing, paced breathing, etc.). 8. Ensures Integumentary protection:
- Recognize interruptions in integumentary integrity
- Patient education
- Edema management 9. Consistant with the plan of care safely utilizes electrotherapeutic modalities (e.g., TENS, FES, etc), physical agents (e.g., hot/cold packs, ultra sound, paraffin, etc), and mechanical modalities (e.g., compression therapies, mechanical motion devices,traction devices, etc) 10. Determines patient's response to the intervention, uses clinical problem solving skills in patient care and, in collaboration with the physical therapist modifies interventions to improve patient response. 11. Provides patient education using a variety of teaching strategies during patient instruction. Provides clear instructions (eg, verbal, visual) and various methods to enhance compliance (e.g., handouts). Determines patient response/understanding of instruction. 12. Provides accurate, reproducible, safe, valid, and timely collection and documentation of data to measure the patient's medical status and/or progress within the intervention (e.g., ROM, MMT, Pain, etc). 13. Documents patient care in the EMR using language that is accurate, complete, legible and timely. Identifies and communicates with the physical therapist when further documentation or cosigning is required. Maintains compliance with HIPAA regulations. 14. Instructs other members of the health care team, using established techniques, programs, and instructional materials, commensurate with the learning characteristics of the audience. Educates colleagues and other health care professionals about the role, responsibilities, and academic preparation and scope of work of the PTA as appropriate. Participates, as necessary, in the education and orientation of PTA students and new staff members. 15. Demonstrates efficient time management. 16. Provides accurate and timely information for billing and reimbursement purposes. 17. Performs other duties as required to ensure efficient operation of the department and hospital. 18. Source document from the American Physical Therapy Association: MINIMUM REQUIRED SKILLS OF PHYSICAL THERAPIST ASSISTANT GRADUATES AT ENTRY-LEVEL BOD G11-08-09-18 [Guideline].
Associate Degree from an APTA accredited Physical Therapist Assistant program. Temporary CT licensure is acceptable (A Current CT licensure within 4 months of hire)
Experience relevant to the assigned practice environment preferred.
CT Licensure as a Physical Therapist Assistant required.
Strong interpersonal and communication skills; ability to work effectively as a member of an interdisciplinary team.
Accountable for the safe execution of treatment programs under the supervision of a physical therapist, timely documentation/communication, HIPAA compliance and Service Excellence practices. Adherence to hospital and department policies and procedues and professional ethics. Must demonstrate sound judgement, effective time management and the ability to follow the physical therapy plan of care.
Knowledge of safe treatment techniques; monitors response to treatments; ability to modify treatment program within the plan of care or suggest modification if outside of scope of PTA practice to improve patient response; safe application of modalities.
Ability to lift 40 pounds and work with patients of varying sizes using safe body mechanics