To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values - integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion - must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
Under the direct supervision of the Smilow Chief Physicist or the Regional Chief Physicist, responsible for coordinating the engineering services in radiation oncology. Also responsible for the repair and maintenance of radiation therapy equipment within the Department of Therapeutic Radiology. Evaluates specifications of equipment under consideration for purchase, and advises the Department on matters, such as utility requirements, maintenance costs, safety issues and general operating characteristics.
- 1. Coordinates the engineering services for radiation oncology:
- 1.1 Coordinates work schedules for coverage of engineers, identifies best resource utilization through proactive analysis of previous trends.
- 2. Responds to equipment problems:
- 3. Equipment repairs:
- 3.1 Assesses and arranges for the repair of department equipment.
- 4. Treatment device fabrication:
- 4.1 Design instruments and devices required for radiation treatments with guidance and cooperation from other members of the physics section.
- 5. Preventative Maintenance:
- 5.1 Conducts routine checkups of equipment to maintain smooth operation and avoid major costs for repair.
- 6. Quality Assurance:
- 6.1 Operates quality assurance program for major radiation therapy equipment to assure that electrical and mechanical characteristics are within acceptable limits of clinical application.
- 7. Risk Management:
- 7.1 Inspect and evaluate equipment in regard to efficiency and safety.
- 8. New Equipment Assessment and Planning:
- 8.1 Evaluates the specifications and suitability of various treatment machines and equipment under consideration for purchase and advises the department on matters, such as utility requirements, maintenance costs, and general operating characteristics.
- 9. Machine shop and Electronic shop:
- 9.1 Supervises the operation of the machine shop and the activities of the users, ie radiation therapists, medical dosimetrists, medical physicists, radiation therapy tech aids.
- 10. Continuing Education
- 10.1 Maintains a current working knowledge of the department's treatment delivery systems.
B.S. in Electrical Engineering or related fields, with strong electronics background required.
Preferred: Five (5) years experience in the repair and maintenance of medical linear accelerators. Alternatively, ten (10) years experience in the repair and maintenance of medical x-ray imaging equipment, or, as a bio-engineering equivalent in a hospital environment.
Ability to prioritize and effectively coordinate work assignments among engineers, familiarity with troubleshooting of high and low voltage circuitry. Familiarity with configuration and network connectivity of Medical Linear Accelerators and Medical x-ray equipment computer control systems. Knowledge of establishing and maintaining a quality assurance program for high reliability of critical medical equipment. Ability to establish and maintain open lines of communications with all relevent departmental personnel.
The nature of the position frequently requires the engineer to work during the evening, as availability of major equioment items for routine service does not occur until 5PM