To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values - integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion - must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
Under the general supervision of the Senior Manager, Bed Management, the Transfer Facilitator facilitates transfer requests from referring physicians, including direct admissions, telehealth, and Consult Connect. Works closely with Clinical Bed Managers, Off Shift Administrators, Attending Physician Staff, Inpatient Bed Resources, and Referring Physicians to expedite transfer admissions and direct admissions to all the five hospitals - Yale New Haven with the St Raphael?s Campus, Bridgeport, Greenwich, Lawrence + Memorial, and Westerly. Understands what diagnosis is appropriate for each individual hospital and where to direct placement. Provides the framework, coordination, and direction for the systemic monitoring of transfers and direct admissions. Has responsibility and accountability for improving the quality and efficiency of the transfer process and the satisfaction of internal and external customers. Provides patient triage expertise and clinical terminology knowledge necessary to connect the Referring Physician with the appropriate Attending Physician. Understands and applies knowledge of policies and procedures for each hospital when completing processes. Must remain calm while working in stressful situations. Must remain focused while assuming a leadership role inherent in carrying out the functions of this position. Must be a confident individual who can accept the challenge and high degree of responsibility entailed in this position.
- 1. Patient Throughput - Obtains accurate and pertinent medical history. Directs referring physicians with appropriate service line, works in collaboration of the Bed Associate and Clinical Bed Manager to assure proper bed placement. Documents and reports on timelines of patient activity for efficient throughput. Understands bed availability at each individual hospital and the complex admissions with different processes and algorithms at each hospital.
- 1.1 Obtains comprehensive and pertinent medical history and accurate patient demographics from referring physicians/institutions.
- 2. Customer Service - Develops effective relationships with all support staff and physicians to ensure patient flow and bed placement. Communicates effectively, creates an employee and physician experience that exemplifies caring, understanding, efficiency and overall quality of service. Demonstrates the ability to balance customer service with financial needs of the hospital.
- 2.1 Develops effective relationships with all nursing unit clinical and support staff to facilitate communication and enhance patient flow/bed placement.
- 3. Census Verification - Properly documents, follows policy and procedures related to processes developed. Works with Bed Associates and or Clinical Bed Manager to assure proper placement at all the different hospitals.
- 3.1 Documents all bed activity to assist in the compilation of the midnight census for distribution within the Yale-New Haven Health System to support system wide budget and financial goals.
- 4. Resource Management - Maintains strong knowledge of EPIC and CRM applications. Strong ability to multitask and decision making related to physician service lines and patient placement. Communication skills professional and the ability to document appropriate information accurately. Supports Organizational and Departmental Goals.
- 4.1 Maintains strong working knowledge of all applicable computer systems that will affect and support bed placement activities.
- 5. Supports Organizational and Departmental Goals - Participates in workgroups with other divisions of the SBO. Supports team building and communication of department. Attends all staff meetings and in service as required by department.
- 5.1 Participates in designated PFAS workgroups to support team building and communication.
- 6. Continuing Education - Yearly completion of 20 hours of continuing medical education (CME) through approved credentialed provider.
Must be a high school graduate or equivalent. Completed EMT-Paramedic Program. EMT-Paramedic Nationally Registered preferred.
A minimum of five (5) years of experience as a paramedic; experience in health care including clinical practice, triaging and transfer experience. Demonstrated leadership experience with excellent judgment and prioritize decisions for best interest of patients, collaborate and communicate effectively.
EMT-P Certification required.
Continuing Education - Will complete yearly CME's of 32 hours through approved credentialed provider.
Outstanding communication and facilitation skills. Proficient in typing and data entry.