To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values - integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion - must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
Under the direction of the Chief of Laboratory Medicine and the Director, Laboratory Services is responsible for all aspects of Quality Assurance and Quality Management for the department. Provides oversight and management support for the central processing, reference, outreach, customer service and phlebotomy areas in all quality and operational support functions. Assists on special projects as directed. Assumes departmental responsibilities in the absence of the Director, Laboratory Services. Contributes to the development and management of budgets for areas of responsibility including both capital and operating. Responsible for setting the strategic direction of areas supervised. Operationalizes key strategic initiatives for areas of responsibility.
- 1. Serves as chair of departmental Quality Assurance Committee. Maintains all records of indicators presented, maintains and distributes minutes of departmental Quality Assurance Committee meetings. Assumes responsibility for the dissemination of QA/QI initiatives to departmental staff. Develops and maintains written policies and procedures relating to QA/QI activities. Maintains knowledge of current trends and methods for quality improvement monitoring in accordance with JCAHO, CAP, and CLIA regulations. Serves as Department of Laboratory Medicine representative on hospital-wide QA/QI Committee.
- 2. Coordinates all QA/QI projects for the Department of Laboratory Medicine including POCT. In conjunction with the Chief of Laboratory Medicine and the Director, Laboratory Services, develops the overall plan for quality assurance and quality improvement activities in order to meet JCAHO and CAP guidelines. Ensures accurate and timely collection retention, and retrieval for QA/QI information, and of raw data necessary for utilization, QA and QI investigations.
- 3. Directs individual Laboratory Managers in the selection of appropriate QA/QI indicators to facilitate meeting institutional and departmental QA goals as well as all regulatory requirements. Provides assistance in data gathering, evaluation and presentation of chosen indicators.
- 4. Provides operational support to the management of the Specimen Processing and Outreach Managers to assure all aspects of these areas are functioning appropriatly.
- 5. Develops process improvements to assure call center is functioning efficiently and effectively.
- 6. Manages the departmental reference area to assure timeliness of sample processing and result reporting.
- 7. Monitors test volume in the reference area analyzing ordering patterns and potential areas for cost savings or over utilization.
- 8. Brings discrepant utilization issues to the proper Medical Director for intervention.
- 9. Analyzes reference area workflow to develop process improvements to aid in the timely processing of samples and reporting of results.
- 10. Responsible for delegating work to assigned staff and establishing workflow standards.
- 11. Provides guidance and support to staff and ensures the work is completed efficiently and correctly.
- 12. Conducts timely orientation and annual performance reviews on assigned staff; counsels and develops performance improvement plans as required. Contributes to the performance reviews of staff indirectly supervised.
- 13. Leads by example, successfully demonstrating the personal attributes defined in the Yale New Haven Health System Core Success Factors.
- 14. Actively participates in and supports the development, mentoring and coaching of staff.
- 15. Understands YNHHS vision, goals and strategies and communicates to others. Able to set clear goals and directions.
- 16. Designs and utilizes dashboards and reports to monitor key critical to quality measurements and operational goals. Provides seamless clinical and operational data in a useable format allowing for the identification , analysis and evaluation of alternative strategies as solutions of business and operational issues requiring management attention.
Bachelor's degree in Medical Technology or Health Sciences or equivalent required. Master's Degree or master's level course work required with an emphasis in healthcare or business administration preferred.
Minimum of five (5) years managerial or leadership experience in a high complexity healthcare setting required. This may include experience in operational control, personnel management, fiscal oversight, and regulatory preparedness.
Excellent organizational verbal and written communication skills. Excellent customer services skills required. Proficient with Microsoft office products to include Word, Excel, Visio, Project. Proficient in analyzing raw data withthe use of Excel, pivot tables and formulas. General knowledge of laboratory quality assurance, HCFA compliance.