To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values - integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion - must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
A Patient Services Specialist is responsible for greeting patients and visitors into the department in a prompt, courteous and professional manner. Insures all appropriate forms are complete, accurate, signed and entered into McKesson Practice Plus system according to company guidelines. Serves as a liaison between patient and medical staff.
- 1. Greets patients and visitors into the department in a prompt, courteous and professional manner, Show sensitivity to cultural backgrounds.
- 2. Answers multi-line telephone systems and handles all calls in an efficient manner.
- 3. Assists patients in completion of registration forms and ensures accuracy of demographics and insurance information by checking forms for completion and signatures.
- 4. Collects accurate demographic information on all new patients in to the McKesson Practice Plus software. Updates returning patients information. Prepares and organizes patient charts, placing charts in appointment order. Prints schedules as needed for clinical staff.
- 5. Collects insurance co-pays, back balances and other out of pocket amounts at time of visit. Issues receipts for all payments. Logs all payment onto Cash Journal and balances daily. Prepares daily deposit.
- 6. Schedules, changes and cancels all appointments in the McKesson On Line System in Practice Plus. Obtains all referral authorizations and confirms PCP, ensuring we participate with insurance.
- 7. Performs all insurance verifications prior to the patient?s appointment. Copy/scan insurance card at time of visit, verifying for each visit co-pay and ID#?s are entered correctly.
- 8. Maintains medical charts by filing reports and correspondence into designated areas of charts. Daily filing of charts into chart racks alphabetically.
- 9. Generates end of day financial batch report i.e. cash journal and credit card closing report. Ensures all tests listed on the encounter form are schedules along with future office visits.
- 10. Keep office productivity efficient and constant by keeping physicians schedules full and checking on patient if they are waiting longer than ten (10) minutes.
- 11. Maintains organized/neat work area and keeps patient lobby in a neat and orderly manner.
- 12. Performs daily confirmation calls to remind patients of their appointment and also inform them of any back balances or other reminders such as bring in all and current insurance cards.
- 13. Responds to patient telephone calls, providing information and instructions as necessary and/or ordered by physician.
- 14. Maintains 100% accuracy on all patient data, including rechecking for demographic and insurance changes each time a patient checks in.
- 15. Demonstrate ability to multi-task throughout the work day.
- 16. Will be support staff to other ASSECT sites as needed.
- 17. Meets performance expectations for Customer Service, Teamwork, Resource Utilization, and Staff and Self Development as outlined in performance review.
- 18. Performs any and all other duties as assigned or directed to provide optimal patient care.
Minimum of high school education is required. Knowledge of general medical terminology preferred. Knowledge of basic math and accounting required.
Ability to use various software packages and coordinate a variety of routine tasks; ability to maintain work related confidentiality. Knowledge of medical billing procedures and medical insurance preferred. Computer experience is required.
Provided specialized on-the-job training.