To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values - integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion - must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
The Spine nurse coordinator is an integral member of the interdisciplinary Spine team. The nurse coordinator facilitates the multidisciplinary care of the spine patients with the goals of exceptional care, patient experience, and clinical outcomes. The Spine nurse coordinator improves patient preparedness for treatment through education, review of clinical needs, and support while also facilitating interaction between patients, their physician team, and referrals as appropriate. The Spine nurse coordinator works with the Spine leadership and physician teams to ensure patients are receiving comprehensive care while improving access and throughput.
- 1. Patient/Family Assessment 1.1 Collects patient data for new patients prior to initial visit using telecommunication strategies. This data includes physical and psychosocial history, current medical status, medication review, and teaching/learning evaluation. 1.2 Analyzes data compiled by the scheduler or intake person to confirm completeness and to identify any gaps to ensure all data and imaging is available prior to new visit. Facilitates the availability and completeness of diagnostic testing results for initial visit and additional imaging as needed. 1.3 Evaluates patient/family response to medical, nursing, therapy interventions at regular intervals (following initial visit, near completion of therapeutic plan). 1.4 Communicates any assessment findings to appropriate team members and documents in EMR according to policy.
- 2. Patient/Family Education 2.1 Develops a patient education plan based on assessment findings which includes preoperative and/or postoperative care, disease process, medications, treatments and plan of care. 2.2 Provides instruction on when and how to communicate with the team. 2.3 Provides written information via handouts and/or email to reinforce verbal education. 2.4 Evaluates patient/family understanding of information provided and documents in EMR. 2.5 Supports patient/family through experience to ensure adherence to treatment plan.
- 3. Patient/Family Referrals 3.1 Coordinates and initiates referrals to physical and occupational therapy, case management, and social work/community resources (VNA, DME) as needed. 3.2 Interfaces with physicians, APP?s, and schedulers to ensure appropriate scheduling of studies, procedures and/or interventions following initial visit and serves as essential link between patient and other care providers. 3.3 Anticipates and/or identifies barriers to patient adherence to treatment plan and collaborates with other providers/team members to minimize barriers.
- 4. Spine Program Support 4.1 Responsible for establishing and maintaining collaborative working relationships with physicians, APP?s, nurses, technologists, schedulers, practice managers, front desk staff, physical therapists, and ancillary support roles as Spine program evolves. 4.2 Collaborates with APP?s to triage complex phone calls. 4.3 Participates in the development and implementation of evidence based clinical tools relevant to new patient intake, access and navigation. 4.4 Identifies and monitors program quality metrics relevant to patient population, including outcomes and trends. 4.5 Participates in and leads program specific safety and quality process improvement plans.
- 5. Professional Development 5.1 Maintains clinical competency by participation in grand rounds, relevant conferences, continuing education, professional organizations and other related activities. 5.2 Under the direction of Spine leadership, participates in specific quality improvement activities relevant to program and role. 5.3 Facilitates and role models a learning environment that supports patient safety and evidence based practice for all levels of patient care staff.
Bachelor?s degree in nursing required; Master?s degree in health related field preferred.
3-5 years of experience with surgical patient population, inpatient or outpatient. Neurosurgery, Spine and/or Orthopedic experience preferred.
CT RN Nursing license, BLS, Specialty certification in Neurosciences or Orthopedic nursing preferred
Must be able to assist patients on and off procedure table and push wheelchairs.
Multiple positions available.