To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values - integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion - must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
Reports to the Manager, Lab support Services. Provides efficient, accurate and courteous service for patients, physicians and medical staff. Provides accurate and timely collection and receiving of specimens for all patients in accordance with the hospital and laboratory policies and procedures, Federal/State regulations. Accurately enters data into hospital and laboratory computer systems related to patient testing, billing and reporting. Performs processing functions to assure integrity of specimens for testing. Obtains appropriate information regarding patient demographics, insurance coverage and obtains necessary patient signatures on authorizations and waivers of non coverage. Acts as Laboratory customer service representative while providing service to inpatients, outpatients, and off-site nursing home patients.
- 1. Collects and labels venipuncture specimens according to established policies and procedures.
- 2. Explains collection procedure clearly to patient in accordance with approved techniques and observing Universal Precautions. Properly identifies patient prior to collection.
- 3. Handles requests for special services (STAT, timed draws, etc) prudently and efficiently.
- 4. Respects patient's rights to privacy and confidentiality of information. Releases information only to authorized personnel. Follows all privacy policies and procedures.
- 5. Correctly identifies patients and performs accurate and complete registration and order entry.
- 6. Obtains necessary consents and signatures, when applicable. Distributes privacy notice. Determines if Medicare is primary or secondary. Gathers information using appropriate questionaires. Document information as appropriate in the Hospital computer system.
- 7. Obtains all required information for billing, to include diagnosis information for tests and waivers of noncoverage(ABN), insurance eligibility and benefits.
- 8. Accurately edits specimen types and specimen events; accurately adds events, cancels duplicate orders, recollects specimens, retrieves specimen numbers, etc. as necessary. Is knowledgeable of specific tests that cannot be added on and is aware of time limitations for 'add-ons'
- 9. Troubleshoots/researches physician orders to ensure accurate order entry of procedures requested. Works closely with all Lab departments to assure quality of specimens.
- 10. Verifies and documents the collection and/or receipt of specimens into the department using the appropriate LIS function. Works efficiently and accurately, with a high degree of productivity to meet critical specimen turnaround times. Appropriately triages specimens received in the laboratory.
- 11. Checks bar code label on specimens for completeness, proper label orientation; verifies that tests were ordered properly and suitability of specimen; documents improperly collected specimens in LIS. Notifies outpatient and referred providers if specimens are unsuitable.
- 12. Provides patients with the appropriate containers and instructions for the collection of specimens.
- 13. Receives specimens from physician offices and Laboratory clients. Maintain receipt system according to established policies and protocols.
- 14. Performs hospital courier rounds and specimens transport.
- 15. Assists callers with patient results, specimen requirements and other information as requested.
- 16. Acts as Laboratory customer service representative while providing service to inpatients, outpatients and other Laboratory clients.
- 17. Assesses purpose of calls accurately and directs calls to appropriate personnel consistently. Is able to resolve problems with a high degree of accuracy within the scope of practice of the position description.
- 18. Performs quality control, quality improvement, specimen tracking, and maintenance procedures as required for shift responsibilities.
- 19. Notifies customers or clients of unacceptable specimens. Arranges for recollection.
- 20. Accurately documents follow-up on client complaints in a timely manner.
- 21. Follows guidelines for PPE as outlined in the Department Safety Manual. Complies with Bloodborne Pathogen Standard. Complies with all Laboratory safety policies and procedures.
HS degree required, AS or BS degree in Health Sciences or related field preferred.
2 years related hospital laboratory experience preferred. 1 year phlebotomist experience preferred.
Knowledge of and ability to use various software programs including Microsoft Office products and excellent keyboard skills required. Excellent verbal and written communication skills, to include exellent customer service skills. Knowledge of medical terminology. Excellent organizational skills with flexibility and the ability to handle multiple priorities and projects at one time. Good problem solving skills. Must be able to work autonomously and be self-directed. Competence in caring for all patients treated at the hospital regardless of age (neonatal, infant, child, adolescent, adult & geriatric), disability, sexual preference, gender, ethnicity.
Requires full range of body motion including finger dexterity and eye-hand coordination. Frequent sitting, standing, reaching and bending.
Bachelor's degree preferred. Experience as a Phlebotomist preferred. Related hospital laboratory experience highly preferred.