To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values - integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion - must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
The clinical data specialist is responsible for obtaining and verifying clinical information and data to support clinical quality performance measurement and improvement throughout YNHHS. The incumbent will serve as data abstractor and liaison in YNHHS measurement projects and registries. The incumbent will retrieve and enter data using the data collection process according to measure specifications and project requirements. The incumbent will take personal responsibility for the data collection process and will work with administrators, physicians, nurses and associated staff to ensure efficient and accurate data collection and reporting.
- 1. Collects/abstracts relevant data associated with clinical quality project(s) based on the measure specifications and guidelines provided by government, regulatory agencies, registries or vendor.
- 2. Responsible for information processing including generation of data abstraction tools, data entry routines and monthly reports.
- 3. Ensures the integrity and accuracy of information collected and entered into the data collection system and is accountable for their work.
- 4. Assesses potential problems affecting the data collection process and coordinates follow -up of problem resolution with the team and/or manager.
- 5. Participates in regulatory, government or vendor audits as assigned.
- 6. Complies with HIPAA guidelines for security and confidentiality of data and information.
- 7. Provides correspondence and/or telephone follow-up and attends in-person meetings for selected groups as needed.
- 8. Responsible for maintaining and improving knowledge base relevant to assigned project(s) through attending in-services, seminars, meetings, and through reading relevant literature.
- 9. Maintains flexible work schedule to meet the needs of a given project.
- 10. Travel to YNHHS member facilities and/or other locations for meetings may be required.
- 11. Provides oversight for periodic case reviews and reports with hospital contacts to resolve questions, identify risk areas, document trends and communicate changes in measure requirements.
Registered Nurse with bachelor's degree preferred.
At least Five (5) years' experience in healthcare, public health or related field required. Clinical experience preferred. Two to three years' experience in working with systems issues such as case management or utilization review is preferred. Experience with structured electronic medical record abstraction is preferred. Working knowledge of entering clinical information into computerized databases is preferred.
Excellent interpersonal and communication skills. Ability to exercise independent clinical judgment. Must have working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel. Proficient in the use of electronic medical record systems. Maintains registry certifications as needed. Knowledge of diagnosis and procedures codes preferred.