To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values - integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion - must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
Under the general direction of the Genetic Counselor Leaders and in cooperation with all DMT members, performs a wide range of clerical, communications and coordinative functions. Receive and distribute genetic testing results, complete test requisitions to outside laboratories via electronic and paper formats, package biological samples for outside lab analysis, manage insurance authorization process through online systems with occasional phone contact with insurance companies, outside labs and patients if further information is needed, update and create pedigrees, enter test results and manage other tasks in Progeny database, participate in department quality and efficiency initiatives and materials creation and provide occasional support to front desk and intake team during PTO as other duties allow. The largest concentration of duties will lie in the areas of communication and data entry.
- 1. Communication Duties
- 1.1 Serve as the point person for communication with outside testing laboratories regarding requests for additional documentation, questions on orders, etc. and engage genetic counselors as needed.
- 2. Data Entry
- 2.1 Assist the Genetic Counselors in the coordination of genetic testing through completion of test requisitions for outside laboratories, and the management of the insurance authorization process through online systems.
- 3. Clerical Duties
- 3.1 Create materials including fact sheets and brochures for the program under the direction of program leadership.
- 4. YNHH Service Standards
- 4.1 Maintains and upholds Yale-New Haven Hospital?s established standards and image as well as those of the Smilow Cancer Hospital.
Bachelor's Degree required. Knowledge of medical terminology and cancer genetics a plus.
One to two years of administrative and/or customer service experience. Extensive computer experience and prior office/patient experience preferred.
Excellent communications, interpersonal, team, and organizational skills required. PC proficiency required. Ability to read computer screens, forms and other documents. Ability to follow written and oral instructions. Ability to write clearly and legibly. Ability to work in a fast paced and changing environment. Strong attention to detail. Must possess the ability to multi-task and problem solve on the spot. Excellent telephone etiquette. Prior experience with EPIC, Progeny and insurance authorization preferred.