To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values - integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion - must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
The Patient Financial Access Specialist-ED is responsible for all functions and processes related to patient registration in all the YNHH Emergency Departments (ED) locations and Admitting areas. Utilizing effective communication and technology, proficiently assesses and balances the patient volume in a highly acute and/or non-acute environment assuring the timely processing of the visit. Consistently exhibits emotional maturity in order to provide excellent customer service as outlined in the hospital's standards of Professional Behaviors. Remains a "grace under fire" within the emergency setting during traumatically intense circumstances. Obtains and updates the patient's demographics while adhering to the Patient Identity/Red Flag procedures to ensure patient safety. Understands the various insurance carriers by electronically verifying insurance eligibility and enters insurance accurately to satisfy billing requirements. Identifies co-payments and/or deductibles that are required at the point of service for both emergency visits and elective admissions. When applicable, initiates other funding referrals as outlined by departmental policy. Obtains all required financial documentation at the time of registration. Actively participates with other Departments and specialized protocol teams (trauma, stroke, cardiac, morgue, and blood draw station) to ensure a cohesive, efficient work environment. Processes a variety of In-patient bookings (direct admission, surgery, maternity etc.). This would include but not limited to escorting patients to their treatment location. Maintains the visitor volume with the distribution of passes at all hospital access points. In conjunction with the Emergency Preparedness guidelines, maintains proficiency in both incident planning and downtime procedures.
- 1. Interviewing/Demographic Information: Obtains and accurately records all patient demographic fields within the patient's Electronic Medical Record (EMR) for both clinical and financial use. Adheres to the Patient Identity/Red Flag procedures when preforming the arrival and interview processes. For additional patient identity security measures, obtains a digital photo image for the patient's EMR and provides the patient with information or an activation code to the MyChart application.
- 1.1 During the arrival process, properly identifies patients in a timely and accurate manner while adhering to Patient Identity/Red Flag rules to ensure patient safety. Prints patient identification label and places ID band on all patients to assure proper patient identification.
- 2. Insurance and Billing requirements: Ensures accurate billing information is obtained and verified at the point of service. Initiates financial documentation for all 'true' self-pay accounts. Presents and obtains signatures for applicable financial documents as it relates to the visit. Collects co-payments and/or deductibles due, along with providing explanation of benefits.
- 2.1 Demonstrates a solid understanding of the various third party payers, and accurately completes insurance entry in order to satisfy billing requirements.
- 3. ED Registration Functions: To manage the ED Track Board as it relates to prioritizing the patient flow for the registration process within the Emergency Department setting. For emergency preparedness must be proficient in downtime and incident planning. Must share in the equal percentage of registrations, along with the ability to work the various designed registration work queues.
- 3.1 Demonstrates a thorough understanding of the ED Track Board in order to manage patient flow through the Emergency Department. Consistently manages the registration columns and the various tabs to maintain an accurate and real-time work list reflecting the registration status.
- 4. Admitting Functions: In accordance with the established admitting procedures, proficiently process the various types of In-patient bookings (direct admits, maternity, etc.). Provides directions for scheduled appointments at each access points. Escorts patients (walking or wheelchair) to treatment areas when applicable. Maintains the visitor volume and accurately produces visitation passes, while adhering to visitor pass restrictions protocol.
- 4.1 For directional purposes, displays detailed knowledge of the overall department locations within the hospital.
- 5. Resource Management/Supports Organizational and Departmental goals: To meet the goals of the organization and department, provides excellent customer service to the patient and their families.
- 5.1 Maintains all required system and web application login codes to ensure they are active for utilization at all times.
- 6. Customer Service: Follows Customer Service guidelines in accordance with YNHH department protocol.
- 6.1 Ensures smooth functioning of all processes in order to guarantee a positive patient experience by acknowledging and receiving patients, physicians and visitors to the department following the YNHHS Standard of Professional Behaviors.
- 7. Additional Functions: Ability to multitask and exhibit proficiency with non-traditional registration assignments within the emergency department setting.
- 7.1 Exhibits proficiency in the processing of Cath Lab arrivals.
High school diploma or GED required. Associate degree preferred.
Two (2) to three (3) years' work experience in a customer service environment preferably in any medical office environment or hospital setting with emphasis on registration and/or scheduling, third party insurance verification and financial clearance dealing with all aspects of medical insurance and eligibility requirements preferred.
Self-directed, well organized and exhibiting team oriented skills with the ability and desire to educate and advocate for patients and their families. Must be able to multitask and reprioritize in response to fluctuations in volume. Strong interpersonal skills and ability to build rapport with a wide variety of individuals including clinical staff in order to meet the patient's needs. Excellent investigative, critical thinking and problem solving skills. Intermediate computer skills and the ability to adapt to various programs/systems. Demonstrated proficiency in understanding registration work queues that affect workflow. Must be able to provide training or in-service to other staff and areas within the department and Hospital. Consistently demonstrates effective written and oral communication skills in coordination with the Standards of Professional Behavior with the ability to communicate complex requirements across clinical and financial disciplines.