To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values - integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion - must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
Responsible for the care of group of children as part of a teaching team and for implementing program activities. Must provide help to the Teacher in all areas of the classroom program. This includes, but not limited to, implementing curriculum, supervising children, communicating with parents, after consulting with the Teacher, and providing a health and safe environment for the children.
- 1. Provides caregiving to young infants/toddlers by utilizing language facilitation. Models appropriate speech and language. Converses with children. Listens attentively. Comments on children's remarks. Inquires of child or makes requests. Gives information. Provides and labels sensory experiences. Reads or shares books and pictures with children. Sings or plays music for children. Provides reinforcement for appropriate speech and new vocabulary. Models good manners and respect for individual children through speech. Praises and encourages. Offers help, solicitous remarks or makes verbal promises. Role plays with children.
- 2. Participates in the development of social skills. Greets children upon arrival and assists in separation from parents. Helps to integrate the child into the group. Takes the time to socially involve the quiet, withdrawn child. Models social behavior for children, e.g., shows concern for another's feelings. Plays social games with the children. Encourages sense of community. Consistently uses a positive and appropriate approach to help children control their behavior. Promotes self-help. Helps child delay gratification i.e., learn to take turns
- 3. Participates in the physical development of the children. Provides developmentally appropriate toys and manipulative for stimulation. Provides large-muscle play and encourages the child's participation. Provides indoor, as well as outdoor opportunities, weather permitting. Is an active participant insuring that the children benefit from play. Provides fine motor-related materials and activities.
- 4. Participates in the emotional development of the children. Smiles Smiles at the children. Uses raised, loving or reassuring tones. Provides physical, loving contact. Use eye contact to draw child's attention. Acknowledges children in positive ways for reasons other than group management. Interacts with children involved as individuals when a problem arises and refrains form labeling children. Attempts to sit, bend, or kneel so as to be at the level of the children.
- 5. Assists children in Concept Development.
- 6. Provides a warm, nurturing environment for the children.
- 7. Facilitates communication with parents. Attends a minimum of 3 Parent-Staff functions a year.
- 8. Interacts positively with fellow staff members, and adheres to Center policies and procedures.
High School diploma or Generalized Educational Development certificate (GED) required. Preference to 12 credits in early childhood or a Child Development Associate Certificate (CDA). The CDA would be required within 12 months of employment if the 12 credits in early childhood or CDA was not met at hiring. **Employees employed by YNHH effective 9/12/2012 as a result of the acquisition of the Hospital of St Raphael may meet educational requirements with the applicable combination of education and experience and demonstration of current competences.
Some experience working with infants through 5 year olds preferred. Strong preference for one (1) to two (2) years experience providing care to young children; or equivalent combination of experience and/or training.
Maintains a current CPR/First Aid Certification.
Ability to interact well with very young children, as well as Parents.
Ability to climb up and down stairs, and move from a seated position on the floor to an upright stance. Ability to lift 45 lbs.
THIS POSITION IS COVERED BY THE TEAMSTERS COLLECTIVE BARGAINING AGREEMENT
Minimum - $15.00/hr
Maximum - $23.62/hr