To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values - integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion - must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
Responsible for supervising and directing the work activities of employees responsible for Outpatient Coding. Ensures accuracy and timeliness of diagnostic and procedure data entered into the Hospital billing system. Ensures regulatory compliance.
- 1. Direct activities of ambulatory coding staff to ensure timely and accurate billing and data base integrity. Provides feedback routinely on performance standards.
- 2. Participates in coding of ambulatory medical records.
- 3. Plans on-going in-service training programs.
- 4. Initiates recruitment process when vacancies occur.
- 5. Participates in interview and selection of applicants for coding positions.
- 6. Contacts physicians to resolve problems and/or seeks assistance and advice.
- 7. Implements published changes in ICD-9-CM, CPT-4, and HCPC's coding system, as well as changes mandated by State and Federal regulations; provides appropriate orientation and training to coding staff.
- 8. Provides routine reports/problems relating to coding and data entry for the Manager of Data Analysis.
- 9. Participates with financial analysts in reviewing clinic ChargeMaster.
- 10. Audits hospital based clinic coding. Provides results to clinicians and clinical administration.
- 11. Analyses CCI edit report and identifies departmental and ChargeMaster related issues.
- 12. Provides appropriate technical orientation and training relating to coding, APC assignment and data entry to newly hired coders.
- 13. Conducts programs for staff orientation and ensures compliance to Hospital personnel Policy/Procedures and related personnel functions.
- 14. Ensures employees adhere to requirements for good patient/customer relations and evaluate performance accordingly.
- 15. Works as a team with other CIS Management Staff to coordinate related systems/procedures to ensure uniformity.
- 16. Promotes and fosters a positive customer relations environment in the work place, setting example for staff members to interact successfully with co-workers.
- 17. Provides input into CIS Departmental operating/capital budget preparation/monitoring process.
- 18. Evaluates and coordinates supplies' equipment needs, ordering /arranging for ordering of supplies used within the unit.
- 19. Ensures office equipment is maintained in good condition. Arranges for servicing of equipment when needed.
- 20. Performs other related duties in the Department as required.
Bachelor's Degree in Health Information Management or related field. Certification as a RHIS/RHIT and CCS/CPC.
Three (3) to five (5) years experience as an outpatient coder, including six (6) months to one (1) year experience as a supervisor including clinic coding process and APC experience., SPECIAL SKILLS In-depth understanding and knowledge of medical terminology and anatomy and physiology. Demonstrated high level of oral and written communication skills. Comprehensive knowledge of ICD-9-CM, CPT and HCPC's Coding; understanding of medical record systems and APC's. Understanding of current billing and regulatory requirements, (CCI Edits) including Federal Compliance Regulations. Excellent organizational and personnel skills.