To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values - integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion - must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
Coordinates all consultations for the Interventional Psychiatric Services (IPS) Department for new patients. Serves as a liaison between patients, referring physician offices, and hospital staff to ensure that all required information for new patient intakes is received and that appointments are scheduled in a timely manner. Works directly with attending physicians, advanced practice providers, nursing staff, utilization management, the corporate business office, and scheduling staff throughout the new patient intake process. Performs a variety of general clerical and support functions. Demonstrates outstanding customer service and the Key Behaviors, outlined in the Hospital's Core Success Factors, in all interactions.
- 1. Telephone Reception and Triage: Answers phone calls and responds to patient inquires in collaboration with Interventional Psychiatric Services staff. Explains available treatments and clinical trials to potential patients and providers. Conducts phone screenings and gathers information to determine if patients are appropriate for service. Routes inquires to physicians and midlevel providers as needed. Follows up to resolve patient inquires.
- 2. New Patient Coordination: Following established protocols, coordinates the scheduling of all new patient consultations. Ensures patients complete pre-visit documentation and questionnaires. Gathers medical record information, results from screenings and diagnostic tests and exams, medication history, etc. Ensures all required information is available for staff prior to initial patient arrival. For patients being discharged from inpatient care, coordinates with inpatient staff to ensure patient can smoothly transition to outpatient level of care. Collaborates with staff from Yale University to enroll patients in appropriate clinical trials. Helps arrange lodging for out-of-area patients as needed. Manages workqueues associated with the new referral process to ensure timely scheduling and interdepartmental communication.
- 3. Financial Coordination: Works in conjunction with patients, Pre Registration Staff, Psychiatric Services Utilization Management, and Corporate Business Services to ensure that patients and providers understand the insurance benefits and potential financial liabilities associated with available treatment options. Summarizes and presents this information to patients and providers in a clear and concise manner. Assists Utilization Management by collecting collateral information necessary to obtain authorizations. Where appropriate, submits requests for administrative write-offs or funding from charitable donation funds. Ensures requests are approved in a timely manner and prior to patient arrival for treatment. Works proactively to ensure that all appropriate financial processes are completed prior to patient arrival. Works collaboratively with the Pre Registration staff to ensure that payment from a self pay patient is received prior treatment.
- 4. Concurrent Care Coordination: Following initial consultation, works with patient and hospital staff to schedule subsequent treatments. Where patients are to receive concurrent treatments such as intensive outpatient therapy (IOP), helps coordinate patient intake and enrollment in those programs.
- 5. Patient and Family Liaison: Serves as a patient and family liaison with a focus on efficient and timely patient throughput, effective communication, and focus on the patient experience. Answers questions and facilitates communication between providers, patients, and family members.
- 6. General Clerical Support: Performs general clerical functions to ensure accurate, prompt and effective scheduling. Serves as a back-up / supplemental resource for the administrative associate / scheduler for IPS and provides phone coverage when necessary.
- 7. Information Systems and Reporting: Utilizes multiple YNHH and Yale University information systems to accurately enter and retrieve patient information required for electronic patient scheduling with a variety of providers and maintains accurate patient information. Assists with patient-reported outcomes surveys and functional assessments at appropriate intervals of care.
- 8. Other Duties as Required: Performs other duties as required to ensure an optimal patient experience and to improve efficiency.
High school diploma or GED required. Associate's or Bachelor's degree preferred.
Minimum of two years experience in a clinical setting required. Experience in a psychiatry or behavioral health setting preferred. Experience with telephone reception and scheduling preferred.
Excellent customer service, communication, and interpersonal skills required. Working knowledge of the patient scheduling process. Ability to work collaboratively with scheduling, PFAS, business office staff, utilization management, physicians, advance practice providers, nurses, patients, and families. Working knowledge of insurance verification, authorization, and billing processes. Ability to understand and independently follow established protocols regarding scheduling. Excellent organizational skills with the ability to monitor and address multiple patient issues simultaneously. Strong problem solving abilities. Proactive. Working knowledge of medical terminology. Experience using the Microsoft Office Suite including Word, Outlook, and Excel. Experience with Epic preferred.