To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values - integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion - must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
Under the direction of the Y-NHH Manager of General Accounting, assume responsibilities for the General Accounting department relating to the monthly, quarterly and year-end close of Yale-New Haven Hospital. Responsible for the accounting and financial reporting for investments, donations, and net assets, including utilizing system resources for the enhancement and development of consistent, timely and accurate GAAP financials to management. Provide in-depth knowledge of both the Lawson and Operational systems in order to recommend process improvements and efficiencies as exhibited through the enhanced business practice initiatives. Assist in the compilation and analysis of data provided through departmental scorecarding. Improve communication with various departments of Yale-New Haven Hospital and Health Services Corporation in order to promote the corporate philosophy of exceptional customer service. Act as liaison between the General Accounting department and the internal and external auditors in order to ensure that all audit requirements are met within the given deadlines. Assist in the guidance, training, and professional development of the General Accounting staff. In addition, engage the staff through routine communication to promote a team environment and capitalize on synergies between Financial Reporting and General Accounting.
- 1. Ensure routine standard communication is developed between staff and key department/information holders throughout the Hospital and Health Services who accounting relies on for the month end close process.
- 2. Overall, total accounting and financial reporting responsibility for investments, donations, and net assets, including utilizing system resources for the enhancement and development of consistent, timely, accurate, GAAP Financials to management. This includes acting as liaison with both the Treasury and Development departments to ensure that all information for both the investments and donations are complete and accurate and are in compliance with generally accepted accounting practices.
- 3. Responsible for the oversight of all Yale-New Haven Hospital's cash accounts. Assist Accounting staff to complete bank reconciliations as well as advise them when necessary on how to appropriately research and resolve any reconciling items. Responsible for monitoring the daily cash balance and recommending to the Manager of Accounting when the transfer of funds is necessary. Oversee the daily and monthly wire transfer process to ensure that all transfers are completed timely and accurately. Monitor this process and, if necessary, make recommendations to the Manager on how to improve the process or make it more efficient.
- 4. Responsible for the preparation and coordination of documentation for the annual Audit for review by outside auditors. Working and coordinating meetings amongst the General Accounting staff to ensure the timely and accurate reporting of data while building a best practice reporting process. Provide both internal and external auditors with requested information for the interim and year end audits based upon client assist list.
- 5. Responsible for assisting with the guidance, training, and professional development of the Senior Financial Accountant/Analyst, Staff Accountant, and Accounting Assistant positions within the General Accounting department.
- 6. Facilitating data collection required for analysis and reporting of key business segments and various business operations. Organize and hold regular meetings with various operational areas to improve communication between the departments and General Accounting and to discuss ways to work together to improve the month end close process.
- 7. Assist in development and implementation of improved accounting and reporting of special funds and oversee that all special fund accounting to nominators is completed in a timely and accurate manner.
- 8. Coordinate with the Treasury Department to ensure required procedures are performed to satisfy external auditors and provide them with requested information on alternative investments.
- 9. Provide information for scorecarding as well as assist in the consolidation of all departmental information in order to develop key statistical information to improve efficiencies within the department.
- 10. Ensure routine standard communication is developed between staff and key department /information holders
throughout the Hospital and Health Services who accounting relies on for the month end close process
Bachelor's degree in Accounting or Finance is required, CPA preferred.
The position requires five to seven years of demonstrated experience, understanding of financial operational procedures and processes, including financial statement preparation. A strong working knowledge of financial statement preparation and reporting is required. Demonstrated ability to coordinate and facilitate operational change in a complex environment with diverse agendas is required.
Ability to effectively coordinate, motivate, and develop staff. Minimum three years experience with general accounting and financial reporting. This position will coordinate activities and resources required in meeting tasks and objectives between multiple entities who have significant autonomous decision-making authority and the ability to effectively coordinate these resources is necessary to achieve deliverables. Effective written, listening, and oral communication skills are required. Must have strong interpersonal, problem solving, and time management skills. Demonstrates integrity and ethics in dealings with others (e.g. employs honesty and trust, fulfills obligations/commitments, maintains presence and professionalism). Values and treats others with respect, fairness and courtesy; values the ideas of others and capitalizes upon individual differences to create a work environment that better represents the goals, standards, and objectives of the department.