To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values - integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion - must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
The registered (senior) polysomnographic technologist, under the direction of the supervisor and the Program Manager, prepares the patients, conducts overnight and daytime physiologic studies ?polysomnograms (PSG), collects pertinent information to ensure proper interpretation by the polysomnographer /physician in accordance with established policies and procedures as assigned. Maintains vigilance in a non -stimulating environment and knows when to consult the supervisor/physician regarding the patients status. Attention to detail is critical since the quality of data from the PSG is solely the responsibility of the technologist. The senior polysomnographer will also sleep stage/score reports on daily basis. The senior polysomnographer is also responsible for ordering supplies pertaining to the technical aspect of the sleep center. The senior polysomnographer is required to take call rotation.
- 1. Under the direction of the supervisor and Program Manager, prepares patients, conducts overnight physiologic studies-polysomnograms(PSG), collects pertinent information to ensure proper interpretation by the polysomnogrpaher/physician in accordance with established policies and procedures as assigned. Maintains vigilence in a non-stimulating environment and knows when to consult the supervisor/physician regarding the patients status. Attention to detail is critical since the quality of data from the PSG is solely the responsibility of the technologist
- 1.1 Reviews existing infoamtion in the patient record, examines orders and protocols for study, recognizes sleep/wake or respiratory complaints, sleep patterns and potential need for treatment intervention during testing, collects pertinent patient information to insure proper interpretation by the physician and communicates with ordering physician or center/lab director to clarify unclear or inappropriate orders and communicates about the patient's status.
- 2. The Senior polysomnographer has primary responsibility for independent sleep stage /score reports on a daily basis. The senior polysomnographer is also responsible for ordering supplies pertaining to the technical aspect of the sleep center.
- 2.1 Prepares patient reports for interpretation assuring that results are accurate and communicates any deviant information or data to the reporting physician.
- 3. Follows YNHH Sleep Center established safety precautions and procedures in the performance of all duties to insure a safe and clean environment.
- 3.1 Recognizes and responds appropriately to patient's medical problems and physiological events, especially respiratory problems, seizures or cardiac dysrhythmias including notifying an RN and/or MD, activating emergency button for urgent help and administering supplemental oxygen or basic cardiac life support until help arrives.
- 4. Collaboration with co-workers, physicians both within the hospital and the outside community. A resource for technologists not yet registered.
- 4.1 Assists and supports a learning environment. Assists new staff with understanding patient equipment set-ups.
- 5. Displays committment to professional growth and development by regular attendance to department meetings and educational programs and orientation particiaption
- 6. Responcibility for continuing staff education and new employee orientation
High school graduate. Previous education in allied health or life science is helpful in assimiliating the normal and abnormal physiology, as well as in working with the sophisticated equipment used during the polysomnogram. Maintain 10 CEUs yearly and be a registered polysomnographer, having passed the Board of Polysomnographic Technologists (BRPT) exam.
10 years experience as a polysomnographic technologist, 5 years as a registered polysomnographic technologist. Minimun of two years in the scoring polysomnography role..
CPR certified. Has the ability to understand normal cardiorespiratory, neurologic and sleep/wake physiology.