To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values - integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion - must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
The Operating Room participates with a team in the preparation, maintenance, and breakdown of sterile & unsterile supplies and equipment for the surgical cases. He/she prepares case carts with supplies and equipment as needed; sets up case carts in OR Suites; transports patients to the OR as needed; assists with the positioning and/or prepping of patients as needed; assists with breakdown of case carts. Performs OR Environmental Cleaning and/or Enhanced Environmental cleaning in the turn-over of the OR Suite at the end of procedures. Assists in the turn-over of anesthesia equipment at the end of procedures. Provides proper handling of specimens and delivery of specimens to pathology department. Runs miscellaneous errands as needed for the department. Provides appropriate care for patients of all ages (birth to adulthood).
- 1. Check and prepares case carts for surgical procedures referencing surgeon?s preference cards in accurate and timely manner.
- 1.1 Uses SPM to check that instruments scanned to case cart match surgeon?s preference card.
- 2. Inventories and restocks OR Supplies as assigned.
- 2.1 Demonstrates basic knowledge of aseptic technique including checking integrity of sterile packages.
- 3. Assists with the transportation of patients to and from the O.R.
- 3.1 Is sensitive to issues of private space and personal dignity; always knocks before entering a room.
- 4. Assists in patient positioning and/or prepping.
- 4.1 Obtains support products as requested; example, pillows, sandbags, etc., applying these items under the direction of the R.N.
- 5. Breaks down case carts at end of procedure using universal precautions.
- 5.1 Demonstrates ability to break down case cart including sorting of instruments, sharps, linen and garbage.
- 6. Performs OR environmental cleaning and/or OR enhanced environmental cleaning at the end of procedures.
- 6.1 Employs universal precautions and dons appropriate PPE in performing environmental cleaning and enhanced environmental cleaning as outlined in the departmental Infection Control manual.
- 7. Assists in cleaning the anesthesia machines and equipment.
- 8. Maintains competency on specialized Operating Room Equipment.
- 8.1 Demonstrates ability to setup, trouble shoot, and break down specialty O.R. beds and positioning equipment.
- 9. Demonstrates practical knowledge of Policies, Guidelines and Standards of Practice related to the work of the Operating Room Assistant.
- 10. Performs other duties as assigned or directed to ensure smooth operation of the Operating room Department.
- 11. Demonstrates YNHHS Standards of Professional Behavior, including patient centered care, respect for all people, compassion, integrity, and accountability consistently in all daily activities.
Minimum Educational Requirement High School Graduate preferred
CNA or previous work in health care preferred
May be exposed to infectious diseases and radiation. Standing/walking most of the day and occasionally working in awkward positions and helps lift heavy objects ten (10) to twenty (20) pounds.