To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values - integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion - must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
To serve as the principal support staff for the Cytology and Histology Laboratories. Performs a variety of data entry, verification of specimens, and other related computer functions including generation and distribution of cytology reports with the assistance of the pathology clerical staff. Handles the receipt and routing of laboratory specimens to the Cytology and Histology Laboratories. Performs tasks and procedures under general supervision to assist other Technicians and Technologists. Works with specimens for the laboratories from the time the specimen is registered in the hospital information system until it has been reported by the Technologists or the Pathologists. This includes collection, processing, staining, disposal of unused specimens, and filing of all finalized slides. Strictly follows hospital regulatory guidelines in carrying out the duties of the position and provides general support to maintain laboratory records and supplies. Registration of specimens into the hospital information system.
- 1. Technical Duties
- 1.1 Generate cassette and slides required for each surgical case
- 2. Clerical Duties
- 2.1 Registration of both the Histology and Cytology specimens in the hospital information system
- 3. Other duties
- 3.1 Set up, clean, and prepare all work areas including the disposal and storage of specimens.
- 4. Problem solving
- 4.1 Follows established quidelines for troubleshooting instrument, reagent or specimen problems
- 5. Regulation Compliance
- 5.1 Complies with established laboratory and hospital policies for universal precautions and safety
- 6. People
- 6.1 Participates in staff meetings, helps promote effective working relationships
- 7. Customer Service
- 7.1 Uses Patient/Family center values/Conducts all work activities with respect of the rights and wishes of patients, visitors and patients families
High school diploma or equivalent required. Trained in medical or laboratory terminology
Knowledge and experience in preparing and processing Cytology and Non-Gyn specimens by Cytospin or Thin prep processes preferred.