To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values - integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion - must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
Supervises and provides support for Point-of-Care testing under the direction of the Medical director and Admin Director of the laboratory to meet patient care and regulatory agency requirements. The job responsibilities include but not limited to supervision, evaluation, coordination, documentation, and education related to point-of-care testing (POCT). Responsible for monitoring all regulatory aspects of POCT. Duties include installation of POCT devices, education and training of both laboratory and non-laboratory personnel, competency assessment, and management of consumables. POCT refers to any laboratory procedure performed and results documented outside of the central laboratory. Position includes oversight of operations of two satellite Greenwich laboratories.
- 1. Coordinates activity necessary to maintain compliance with federal, state and local regulations (e.g. CLIA) and accreditation standards (e.g. JCAHO, CAP). Ensures that all Point of Care Testing (POCT) meets federal, state, and local regulations and accreditation standards. Generates and compiles all documentation necessary to demonstrate compliance with federal, state, and local regulations and accreditation standards. Maintains knowledge of current Hospital policies and procedures, federal, state, and local regulations; accreditation standards, and technical developments. Conveys the information to appropriate personnel.
- 2. Coordinates proficiency testing for the Point of Care program. Assures that proficiency samples are analyzed according to instructions and are completed within the allowable timeframe. Reviews proficiency test results and develops corrective action plans when indicated in a timely manner.
- 3. Coordinates education of laboratory and monitors competency testing records of all personnel performing POCT testing. Participates in continuing education programs for the professional development of Hospital staff. Responds effectively to POCT questions and issues raised by staff and other colleagues.
- 4. Assesses each POCT area's ordering, inventory control, and budgetary management practices related to floor stock supplies and reagents, and works with responsible staff to maintain an efficient supply management system.
- 5. Schedules equipment maintenance and service and facilitates replacement of malfunctioning POCT instruments to ensure minimum interruption of service.
- 6. Ensures reliability for current POCT and Blood Gas procedures and equipment through scheduled evaluation and troubleshooting.
- 7. Ensures evaluation of instrumentation, products, and procedures for suitability for POCT by making recommendations whenever possible for new instrumentation, procedures and supplies to medical director of laboratory.
- 8. Continues personal and professional development by attending meetings, conferences and seminars as required or directed. Chooses areas and programs to study to expand knowledge base, and satisfactorily completes laboratory continuing education requirements.
- 9. Prepares for and coordinates POCT site inspection and accreditation visits.
- 10. Coordinates correlations between instrument platforms to ensure comparable quality and meet regulatory needs.
- 11. Monitors certification and competency testing records of all personnel performing POCT and Blood Gas testing.
- 12. Holds a comprehensive knowledge of Point of Care databases, middleware, and interfaces
Bachelors of Science Degree in Medical Technology with ASCP certification (or equivalent).
Two (2) to five (5) years of experience in a clinical lab setting required. Supervisory experience preferred. One (1) to two (2) years of compliance experience an asset.
General knowledge of laboratory operations and point of care testing . Working knowledge of regulatory requirements for laboratories. Excellent organizational, verbal and written communication skills. Proficient with word processing and spread sheet software.