To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values - integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion - must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
Provides clinical and operational support services to facilitate patient care and provide efficient patient flow; assists patients throughout their outpatient appointment pleasantly and professionally; assists office staff with scheduling and confirming appointments as well as answering telephones and performing other assigned clerical duties.
Duties are generally procedural, allowing incumbent to perform independently with intermittent close supervision, in conformance with written instructions, established schedules and predetermined priorities. Problems not clearly defined by written directives or instructions will be reviewed with supervisor to determine the course of action.
MAJOR ACCOUNTABILITIES/CRITICAL RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Prepares patient, equipment and room for procedures; assists with examinations and procedures. Reports any problems in patient status to physician, nurse, or manager.
2. Accurately takes vital signs (temperature, blood pressure, height/weight, body mass index) and records findings.
3. Collects and properly labels specimens (blood, urine, etc.). Delivers appropriate specimens to hospital laboratory.
4. Performs Spirometry/Pulmonary Function Test, Urine Drug Screening, Breath Alcohol Test, as well as phlebotomy, audiograms, setting up procedures under the protocol of the medical director.
5. Maintains and calibrates testing equipment, maintains inventory in exam rooms, laboratory and other clinical areas. Orders and restocks supplies.
6. Meet with injured employees:
a. Facilitate processing and treatment of client company employees.
b. Ensure communication has been sent to client companies regarding injury, plan of care, and estimated lost work time;
c. When appropriate, ensure written reports are processed to applicable area client company representative;
7. Anticipates physician needs and follows up physician requests in a timely manner.
8. Contributes to meeting the fluctuating staffing needs of the Center by being flexible in own assignments and work schedules when required.
9. Develops workflow processes that enhance staff activities.
10. Meets performance expectations for Customer Service, Teamwork, Resource Utilization, and Staff and Self Development as outlined in performance review.
11. Performs other duties as assigned or directed to ensure smooth operation of the department/unit.
Education: Completion of four years of high school or equivalent is required. Course work in Occupational Health/ Medical Assistant or at least one (1) year of post high school formal training or education in an Occupational Health setting.
Experience: One (1) year related experience as a Medical Assistant in a physician office or 6 months of clinical internship. Phlebotomy skills required; requires effective organizational and interpersonal skills. This position requires the ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing, including being proficient in computer use.
Training: Valid CPR certification Certifications for DOT-Urine drug screening, BAT, CPR, PFT, phlebotomy, and audio screening is required or willingness to train for a minimum of two years of service or reimbursement for trainings.
Other: Able to manage multiple tasks; excellent communication skills; and computer/keyboarding skills required. Must be willing to work at more than one site. (i.e., East Lyme, Groton.)