To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values - integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion - must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
Reporting to the Manager of Financial Reporting, the Senior Financial Accountant/Analyst will have responsibilities for the financial reporting function for the monthly, quarterly and year-end close reporting of Yale New Haven Hospital & Subsidiaries, Bridgeport Hospital and Subsidiaries, Greenwich Hospital and Delivery Network, and Yale New Haven Health Services. This entails the month end close package, Management Discussion and Analysis (MD&A), Board of Director presentations, financial committee packages, presentations for management and senior leadership. This position will be responsible for the compilation of the consolidated financial statements. The position will provide in depth knowledge on utilizing existing systems to develop internal and external reporting as well as increase the effectiveness and efficiency of the month end close process. Responsibilities will also include the financial statement preparation of VEBA, YNHH Cash Accounting Pension Plan, TSA pension plan and any other statements as required by the Manager of Financial Reporting. Additionally, the position will work with internal and external auditors to ensure that the reporting function is in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Standards in the United States ( U.S. GAAP ) as well as with internal policies and procedures.
Position will assist in the development and enhancement of Quarterly and Annual Health System reporting packages for the Board of Directors, Finance and Audit Committees, and Senior Management. This will include working on the development and improvement of consistent standardized processes for the timely and efficient capture of accurate and appropriate financial and operational data.
Position is responsible for the ensuring that the annual audit report is completed timely, accurately and in compliance with U.S. GAAP and to work with external auditors to streamline the audit process by supervising the client assistance requested by external auditors. This includes ensuring that all the information is compiled from general accounting staff, other departments, and other organizations.
Position will review the month end close process with key accounting personnel to determine if there are additional efficiencies that can be enacted to streamline the process and ensure that the process is effectively providing accurate financial data for reporting.
Utilize software such as Crystal Reports and ACL and supervise the creation of new reports using these software packages that will enhance the quality and quantity of financial reports available to the organization. Additionally, revise and enhance existing reports to ensure conformity with policy and procedures and U.S. GAAP as appropriate.
Provide financial, analytical and developmental support with respect to special projects relating to the corporate entities of the System. Support will consist of, but is not limited to, internal customer support, issue resolution, and assistance with standardized report development initiatives.
Further key aspects will be to engage staff through routine communication to promote a team environment and capitalize on synergies between financial reporting and other departments. Other critical components will be to leverage analytic work performed to enhance the close process, build on process reviews and development of best practice techniques currently employed by financial reporting.
- 1. Responsible for the month-end reporting process including the preparation and analysis of financial statements and other reports to determine if financial data is complete and accurate. Propose entries to general accounting as needed based upon analysis.
- 2. Work with other departments that have a stake in the financial reports to ensure that data is received in a timely fashion and agrees with general ledger details enabling inclusion in reporting packages.
- 3. The position will be responsible for the development and enhancement of Quarterly and Annual reporting packages. Working with System members to collect and analyze financial data as well as an effective form of delivery to develop standardized reports that can used to populate financial packages. Responsibilities also include participation in the preparation of the power point presentations.
- 4. Preparation of reporting for the VEBA, YNHH Cash Account Pension Plan, TSA pension plan, includes utilizing system resources for the enhancement and development of consistent, timely, accurate, GAAP Financials to management. Working and coordinating meetings with the benefits department, Anthem and actuaries to ensure the timely and accurate reporting of data while building a best practice reporting process.
- 5. Assist in preparing and formalizing financial reporting requirements and standardization of reporting formats.
- 6. Assist in the development and implementation of new operating models across the Health System and assessing alternative standardization and consolidation scenarios.
- 6.1 Prepare monthly VEBA invoice for timely collection by the entities and additional analysis for both VEBA and the Network as needed.
- 7. Preparation of the annual audit and documentation including financial statements for review by outside auditors.
- 8. With the external and internal auditors, prepares annual consolidated audit reports as required by outside agencies.
- 9. Facilitate data collection required for analysis and reporting of key business segments and various business operations.
- 10. Make effective recommendations relative to the financial management of entities.
Education: Bachelor's degree in Accounting or Finance is required. CPA preferred.
The position requires a minimum of three to five years of demonstrated experience, understanding of financial operational procedures and processes, including financial statement preparation. A strong working knowledge of financial statement preparation and reporting is required. Demonstrated ability to coordinate and facilitate operational change in a complex environment with diverse agendas is required.
Minimum three years experience with general accounting and financial reporting. This position will supervise activities and resources required in meeting tasks and objectives between multiple entities who have significant autonomous decision-making authority and the ability to effectively supervise these resources is necessary to achieve deliverables. Effective written, listening, and oral communication skills are required. Must have strong interpersonal, problem solving, and time management skills. Demonstrates integrity and ethics in dealings with others (e.g. employs honesty and trust; fulfills obligations/commitments, maintains presence and professionalism). Values and treats others with respect, fairness and courtesy; values the ideas of others and capitalizes upon individual differences to create a work environment that better represents the goals, standards, and objectives of the department.