To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values - integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion - must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
Manages and participates in planning, developing, recommending, and implementing employee relations programs and maintains policies to ensure the uniform and equitable treatment of employees. Provides consultative support to managers. Analyzes and facilitates resolution of employee relations problems. Coordinates employee grievance procedure up through and including arbitration. Explains rules, policies, procedures, and company and governmental regulations to employees and managers; emphasizes the need for compliance. Prepares and analyzes department budget to identify budget needs and/or reductions, and may allocate operating budget funds. Responsible for the design and development of programs designed to provide recognition and awards for employee service to the Hospital and a variety of employee and wellness programs. Develops and maintains Personnel Policy Manual, as necessary. Responds to inquiries made by local, state and federal agencies concerning employment practices.
- 1. Leadership:
- 1.1 Responsible for delegating work to assigned staff and establishing workflow standards.
- 2. Develops and manages the budget for areas of responsibility. Ensures departmental budget compliance.
- 3. Responsible for the development and execution of Human Resources policies, procedures and practices ensuring compliance with all applicable employment laws and regulations. Ensures policies, procedures and practices are consistent with current legal trends; adjusts exisiting policies as required in a timely and effective manner.
- 4. Consults with management staff members and counsels employees on issues relating to employee discipline and grievance process.
- 5. Mediates to resolve employee relations issues, potential grievances or formal grievances with both union and non-union employees, ensuring such grievances are processed in a timely and effective manner.
- 6. Designs and oversees the coodination of various aspects of employee opinion surveys and other methods to assess and report the employee relations environment in the Hospital. Identifies problems or concerns where attention is necessary. Develops and implements appropriate action plans with line management to promote and maintain a positive employee relations climate.
- 7. Provides interpretation, support, and guidance to management and employees regarding collective bargaining agreement and Human Resources policies.
- 8. Handles grievances arising from the administration of the collective bargaining agreement up to and including arbitration case preparation.
- 9. Responsible for the development of Hospital-wide strike contingency planning in support of efforts to respond to any labor disruption or work stoppage.
- 10. Ensures that a strong and effective preventive labor relations program is effectively executed, including the identification of potential problem areas, collection and interpretation of data, and interaction with departments to ensure equitable treatment and a positive work environment
- 11. Oversees the research, and preparation of compliance response documents to agencies, investigative complaints, discrimination claims, unfair labor practice claims, etc.
- 12. Oversees the development, implementation and execution of a variety of employee recreational and social programs designed to promote and to enhance a positive employee relations work environment and job attitudes. Ensures the development of appropriate, informational or participative activities with other departments in the Hospital to further the objectives of the Employee Relations function, e.g. Center for Health Promotion.
- 13. Responsible for the development and delivery of apppropriate training materials that support the Employee Relations and Human Resource functions such as: employee discipline, employee counseling, performance assessment, contract administration, pro-active labor relations, etc.
- 14. Participate in various committees, forums and taskforce assignments as may from time to time be assigned.
Bachelors degree in Business Administration, Human Resources, Industrial Relations or related field required; Master's Degree preferred.
7 years experience in Employee Relations or as an Human Resources Generalist, preferably in healthcare setting; 2 years in a leadership role preferred. Experience must include pro-active labor relations; labor contract negotiations, interpretation and administration; employee advocacy and management consulting; Human Resources policies and procedures design, development and administration; developing and delivering management training in employee relations.
Ability to effectively communicate, both verbally and in writing, complex issues to wide and varied audiences in a manner that is clear, concise, accurate and diplomatic. Extensive knowledge and experience with the NLRA. Ability to develop, interpret and communicate policies and procedures, contract language, etc. Excellent analytical skills; ability to develop meaningful reports and statistics based on raw data utilizing various software applications. Extensive knowledge of employment law including EEO, AAP compliance, Worker's Compensation, O.S.H.A. etc. Training and platform experience required.