To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values - integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion - must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
Works under the direction of the Assistant Director in assisting the physician, nurses and clinical photographers in performing a variety of tasks and procedures necessary in determining patients' diagnosis and treatment. Under supervision, demonstrates technical expertise and clinical judgement by applying problem solving techniques, integrating advanced skills and knowledge base into clinical practice., The C.O.A. is knowledgeable about and supports the philosophy, policies and general standards of practice at YNHH.
- 1. Responsible for accurately preparing patients' past medical history with knowledge of anatomy and physiology. Possesses sufficient knowledge base regarding systemic disease and its effect on the visual apparatus to obtain an accurate history. Applies accurate technical intervention as needed by each individual patient.
- 1.1 Consistently obtains and records patients' chief complaints documenting history of current illness. Includes signs and symptoms, injuries and refractive needs.
- 2. Accurately obtains and records visual acuity and performs lensometry.
- 2.1 Appropriately measures and records visual acuity including distance and near. Accurately performs these on adults, children, low vision and aphakic patients.
- 3. Maintains patient flow through consistent communication with physician and nursing staff.
- 3.1 Assists with transfer of w/c patients as necessary.
- 4. Demonstrates safe application of eye dressings, eye gtts, and ointments.
- 4.1 a Possesses a thorough knowledge base of appropriate eye dressings, immobilization patches and shields.
- 5. Demonstrates ability to accurately perform and record tonometry.
- 5.1 Performs application and indentation tonometry safely and accurately. Documents results in designated place on chart.
High School Diploma or equivalent, successful completion of a JCAHPO approved program for Ophthalmic Assistants.
One year as a Ophthalmic Assistant.
One year of experience as a certified Ophthalmic Assistant required.