To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values - integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion - must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
Competent and physically able to perform all duties in CSS (Central Sterile Supply) independently (Decontam, Assembly, Sterilization and Distribution) and fulfills all requirements for documentation to ensure the department is able to distribute high quality sterile products in an efficient manner to effectively meet the requirements of its customers. Adheres to the "I Am YNHH" service excellence pledge and promotes a positive work environment.
- 1. Assembly of Instrumentation: Efficiently provides appropriate instrumentation for surgical procedures ensuring accuracy, proper functioning, processing, storage and usage according to scheduled and anticipated demand as measured by lead teach and end of shift inspections.
- 1.1 Removes, assembles and sorts instruments from Washer/Sterilizes in a timely manner.
- 2. Case Cart Preparation: Demonstrates ability to manage and execute the case cart picking function using proper pick sheets, adherence to standard setup, quality assurance and timely delivery of end product as measured by OR, QA and reported incidents.
- 2.1 Utilizes proper forms and procedures to document picking of each item, QA of each item, kit numbers per case cart, missing items and labeling of case carts.
- 3. Dispensing and Storage Functions: Processes user requests with a high degree of accuracy in an efficientand courteous manner as measured by Lead Technician observation and OR staff follow up
- 3.1 Answers the telephone identifying the department in a pleasant and courteous manner within three (3) rings, as observed by the Lead Technician or Tech II.
- 4. Communication/Information: Manages information received or required during the daily course of activities as observed by the Lead Technician and Tech II
- 4.1 Demonstrates knowledge of machine alarms and warning mechanisms and responds accordingly.
- 5. Sterilization Function: Performs the sterilization procedure in a timely and accurate manner ensuring strict adherence to all documentation requirements as measured by daily Lead Technician QA of sterilization function at beginning and end of shift .
- 5.1 Performs daily biological testing of steam sterilizers on each steam autoclave The daily biological is performed separate from any load containing implants
- 6. Surgical Set Processing Function: Efficiently and accurately assembles and packages instruments and supplies in preparation and packaging area of CSS according to priority needs and daily assignment as measured by Lead Technician, daily worksheets and Lead Technician end of shift rounds.
- 6.1 Utilizes inventory and assignment information and interprets needs for single instruments, according to processing need.
- 7. Decontamination Function: Demonstrates ability to manage and perform decontamination process to prevent transference of organisms to the sterile area of CSS as observed by the Lead Technician and Tech II staff and as measured by end of shift inspections
- 7.1 Rinses all grossly soiled instrumentation with tap water or pre-soaks in sink depending on conditions
- 8. Production Standards: Adheres to established department production standards for instrumentation case care production, decontamination, sterilization, and preparation and packaging area as measured by Lead Technician, worksheet, end of shift inspection and customer feedback
- 8.1 Produces kits by priority at a consistent production rate that meets or exceeds the department standard
High school graduate or equivalent.
Requires six (6) months of experience employed as a central service technician in a health care facility prior to January 1, 2016, or a certified registered central service technician credential administered by IAHCSMM or a certified sterile processing and distribution technician credential administered by CBSPD. Must be competent and physically able to perform all duties in CSS independently (Decontam, Assembly, Sterilization and Distribution). No current written disciplinary actions. Meet or exceed production standards. Applicants with no experience or certification must obtain a certified registered central service technician credential administered by IAHCSMM or a certified sterile processing and distribution technician credentialed administered by CBSPD within 24 months of hire.
Knowledge of Operating Room surgical instrumentation and Quality Assurance practices. Ability to assemble all CSS surgical instrumentation. Possess excellent knowledge of CSS operations. Must have excellent knowledge of sterilization equipment and sterility assurance practices. Must demonstrate proficiency in biological monitoring, testing of sterilization equipment and all required forms of documentation and record keeping. Must be able to solve problems utilizing excellent communication skills and medical terminology skills in potentially stressful situations.
Must be able to lift a minimum of 25 pounds repetitively. Majority of tasks require ability to push, pull, bend and stand throughout 8 hour shifts and perform fine hand manipulations.
Prior sterile supply or scope processing experience a plus. Employee is required to maintain 10 CEU's every year.