To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values - integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion - must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
Directs and supervises all unit shift/department activities. Directs, educates and assists nursing staff in the provision of quality patient care according to department standards of practice and standards of care to maintain quality services. Assists Nurse Manager in providing leadership support to staff, scheduling and evaluating personnel. Plans, develops, facilitates and coordinates the operation of the unit/department.
• Assist manager with hiring new staff and identifies and communicates with staff and manager any disciplinary/performance issues.
• Completes annual performance reviews on staff in a timely manner.
• Provides accurate and consistent interpretation and application of Human Resource policies.
• Assesses global needs of patients on the unit/department and matches with staff competencies to provide needed services. Delegates patient care assignments to staff according to identified needs and abilities.
• Assists manager with the development of the budget. Works with staff to adjust resource allocations to demands. Assists the Nurse Manager in the completion of weekly payroll processes.
• Intervenes in a timely manner to resolve customer complaints. Holds self and others accountable for meeting objectives and commitments. Enforces high standards for the quality of patient care delivered on the unit.
• Functions as a preceptor to new staff. Assists the manager and the educator in coordinating the orientation of new staff. Ensures staff competencies are current.
• Must demonstrate the appropriate clinical competencies for the nursing unit in order to evaluate, plan and/or provide patient care through delegation, consulting or as a direct patient care provider.
• Communicates clearly, concisely and effectively. Ensures that people get the information they need to do their jobs.
• Assists Nurse Manager in maintaining up-to-date resource materials necessary to insure proper staff development.
• Regularly reviews and monitors quality improvement activities. Follows through on staff participation in quality improvement activities. Problem solves as necessary.
• Demonstrates the ability to provide a safe environment for patients, self and staff.
• Meets performance expectations for Customer Service, Teamwork, Resource Utilization, and Staff and Self Development as outlined in performance review.
• Performs other duties as assigned or directed to ensure smooth operation of the department/unit.
Graduate of an approved nursing school, BSN preferred
2 years clinical perioperative experience preferred. Prior leadership experience preferred.
Current CT RN Licensure
Must be able to lift, push, pull up to 100 Ibs. Frequent sitting standing, walking, bending, twisting and reaching required.
Specialty certification within 1 year of occupying position. BLS certification required.