To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values - integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion - must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
Responsible for providing counseling and consultative support to management staff and employees on a variety of employee relations issues including the issue resolution (non-union grievance) procedure, employee conduct and discipline, personnel policies and procedures, and collective bargaining agreement administration and interpretation, etc. Handles bargaining unit grievances up to arbitration. Coordinates programs designed to provide recognition and awards for employee service to the Hospital and a variety of employee and wellness programs. Maintains and revises Personnel Policy Manual, as necessary. Responds to inquiries made by local, state and federal agencies concerning employment practices.
- 1. Consults with management staff members and counsels employees on issues relating to employee discipline and grievance process.
- 2. Mediates to resolve employee relations issues, potential grievances or formal grievances with both union and non-union employees, ensuring such grievances are processed in a timely and effective manner.
- 3. Coordinates various aspects of employee opinion surveys and other methods to assess and report the employee relations environment in the Hospital. Identifies problems or concerns where attention is necessary. Develops and implements appropriate action plans with line management to promote and maintain a positive employee relations climate.
- 4. Provides interpretation, support, and guidance to management and employees regarding collective bargaining agreements and Human Resources policies.
- 5. Handles grievances arising from the administration of the collective bargaining agreement up to and including assisting in arbitration case preparation.
- 6. Assists in the development of Hospital-wide strike contingency planning in support of efforts to respond to any labor disruption or work stoppage.
- 7. Assumes responsibility for contributing to a strong and effective preventive labor relations program including identification of potential problem areas, collection and interpretation of data, and interaction with departments to ensure equitable treatment and a positive work environment.
- 8. Researches, prepares, and submits compliance response to agency investigative complaints, discrimination, unfair labor practice, etc.
- 9. Designs and presents training material which supports the Employee Relations and Human Resource function, e.g., employee discipline, employee counseling, performance assessment, contract administration, pro-active labor relations, etc. Interacts effectively with other staff in Human Resources and other Hospital departments in coordinating employee relations training programs and achieving desired department and/or organizational objectives.
- 10. Acts as liaison with other sections of Human Resources and the Health System in order to ensure continuity in practices and dispatch of employee related matters.
- 11. Participate in various committees, forums and taskforce assignments as may from time to time be assigned.
Requires a minimum of a Bachelor's degree in Human Resources Administration, Business Administration, Industrial and Labor Relations or related discipline. Master's degree or JD in one of the above areas preferred.
Five (5) years' experience in Employee Relations Human Resources, or related field, preferably in a health care setting. Experience should include labor contract administration, negotiations, employee advocacy, and management consulting, Human Resources policies and procedures administration, and management training in employee relations and pro-active labor relations.
Strong working knowledge and experience with the NLRA. Must have excellent interpersonal and communication skills (both verbal and written) and be able to interface effectively with employees and management. Must possess good analytical skills and be able to interpret and to communicate policies and procedures, contract language, etc. Must have experience managing a variety of data sources and spread sheets. This position requires a working knowledge of state and federal employment laws including EEO, AAP compliance, Workers' Compensation, O.S.H.A., etc. Training experience and "platform" skills strongly desired.