To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values - integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion - must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
Under the direction of Director, Corporate Contracting YNHHS, responsible for managing the activities of the Clinical or Non Clinical team within Corporate Contracts Department. Responsible to be the primary Corporate Contracting support for a minimum of one Non Labor Committee (NLC). In addition to ownership of one or more NLCs this position is responsible for coordinating Clinical or Non Clinical contracting team activities of the Yale New Haven Health System. Ensure Contract staff are prepared for each Non Labor Committee (NLC) meeting and that all follow-up items of the Clinical or Non Clinical Contracting staff , in support of the NLCs or for contracting and customer service, are handled in a professional and timely manner. Serve in a leadership role at the Non Labor Committee meetings with other management staff from across the Health System to advance the organizational goals; inclusive of standardization, reduction of variation and appropriate utilization. Maximize overall contract coverage on all products and services purchased by the sites by ensuring access of Yale New Haven Health System agreements, Northeast Purchasing Coalition (NPC) and Group Purchasing Organization (GPO) agreements.
- 1. Responsible for supporting the daily operations, cost savings activities, documentation and customer service of the Strategic Sourcing team. This includes developing an annual contract plan for the team and meeting targets set forth by Supply Chain leadership. The position is responsible for the improvement of contracting metrics established by Supply Chain leadership to improve operations. Metrics include, but not limited to measurement of contract performance,contracted vs. non-contracted %, project completion, savings and customer service. This person will lead and manage many aspects of the daily work of their team.
- 2. Responsible to monitor and develop in conjunction with contracts staff the negotiation strategies to ensure the best possible outcome for the Health system.
- 3. Responsible to attend and, at times, lead discussions in the system wide Non Labor Committee meetings. Responsible to report back and assist in identifying barriers and solutions related to the overall effectiveness and progress of these system wide committees. Responsible to incorporate clinical feedback from the Clinical Utilization Specialists in Supply Chain and clinicians system wide into the contracting process.
- 4. Responsible to incorporate and coordinate the Northeast Purchasing Coalition (NPC) contract plan into the Non Labor Committee agendas and the YNHHS contract plan.
- 5. Responsible for the infrastructure build, maintenance and optimization of the appropriate technologies as it relates to strategic sourcing (i.e. INFOR contract manager, INFOR data usage, Protract, etc.).
- 6. Responsible for working with management team on the improvement of the end-to-end system speed and efficiency of the contracting process
- 7. This position is responsible for working with management team on establishing valid performance measures in order to ensure that the department has an accurate assessment of all activities.
- 8. Suggest and coordinate process improvement activities internally as well as those customer areas that the supply chain interacts with heavily.
- 9. Ensure the Clinical or Non Clinical contract team provides appropriate assistance to the Procurement Coordinators located at all sites within the Yale New Haven Health System as needed.
- 10. Responsible for helping to manage the Clinical or Non Clinical contract team bid calendar, plus the tracking and assignment projects.
- 11. Ensures contract process (including bidding and negotiation) is conducted in a fair, high quality, ethical and objective manner and in strict compliance with Health System policy. Ensure all aspects of this contract process are well documented.
- 12. Participate in negotiations as needed to ensure a market competitive package is obtained for Yale New Haven Health System, objective processes are followed and all Yale New Haven Health System entities are included in the process.
- 13. Use benchmarking tools to review, monitor and make comparisons of national, regional and local contracts (VHA/Novation, NPC, YNHHS, etc.) to determine and ensure the Yale New Haven Health System and its affiliates are receiving best value.
- 14. Administration of relationships with Clinical or Non Clinical suppliers (product and service) to ensure best advantage of value-add services and vendor performance.
- 15. Assist in the administration of the relationship with GPO, NPC and ongoing communication to all customers. Responsible for providing assistance to Clinical or Non Clinical Yale New Haven Health System department managers in the development of supply and equipment contract requirements and expense reduction/containment opportunities.
- 16. Suggest recommendations for the continual revision and development of appropriate policies, procedures, and contract documents to deliver the most efficient and effective purchasing and contracting system possible while maintaining a high level of compliance with audit requirements.
- 17. Ensure the Clinical or Non Clinical contracting team is operating at a high level of efficiency; utilizing process improvement techniques where appropriate.
- 18. Pursue standardization in product selection in accordance with supply and services Non Labor Committee expense reduction goals.
- 19. Work closely with the Supply Chain Utilization team to drive YNHHS towards appropriate utilization of products in accordance with feedback generated from our customers as well as industry information.
- 20. Responsible to interact with clinical and administrative leadership at all Yale New Haven Health System entities in pursuit of cost reduction, standardization and/or utilization initiatives.
- 21. Participate in the development of department goals, objectives and budgets.
- 22. Management of staffing requirements and Human Resource issues for the Clinical or Non Clinical contracting team.
- 23. Participate in the development of customer satisfaction plans and measurement tools.
- 24. Demonstrate leadership through staff mentoring and development, goal setting and progress on assigned activities, as well as through daily actions and methods.
- 25. Responsible to build, maintain and optimize the vendor management process including contract language, system documentation and updates, KPIs, vendor scorecards and necessary vendor follow up to ensure contract compliance.
- 26. Responsible to monitor contract compliance and work with operational leaders to ensure barriers to success are reviewed and overcome to ensure maximization of contract tiers and rebates.
Bachelor's Degree in business administration, health services or related field required. Masters preferred.
Minimum of five to seven years' experience in a supply chain management setting required and healthcare experience strongly preferred. Strong supervisor experience is essential. Experience in finance and /or clinical setting also desirable. Excellent negotiation skills is a must. Experience with formal RFP development, team and individual negotiations, complex financial and non-financial analysis, and contract development. Experience compiling data and information into clear and concise presentation material and facilitating groups to consensus. Experience in managing customer expectations. Ensure all Contracting activities are in compliance with Hospital and Health System policies. Ensure the team is operating at a high level of ethical standard and efficiency; utilizing process improvement techniques where appropriate. Responsible for managing the Project Specialists and Contract Specialists on the team to assure appropriate communications to YNHHS entity management and clinical customers. Interacts daily with peers and subordinates, as well as with YNHHS management and staff, clinicians and physicians, corporate compliance, legal and human resources. Interacts with external contacts including sales representatives, sales executives and YNHHS business partners. Responsible for supporting the daily operations, cost savings activities, documentation and customer service of the Corporate Contracting Department. This includes developing an annual contract plan for the team and meeting targets set forth by Supply Chain leadership. The position is responsible for the improvement of contracting metrics established by Supply Chain leadership to improve operations. Metrics include, but not limited to measurement of contract performance,contracted vs. non-contracted %, project completion, savings and customer service. This person will lead and manage many aspects of the daily work of their team.
Comprehensive understanding of advanced procurement techniques, including contract negotiation, competitive bidding, material Use Evaluation, value analysis, comparative costing and multi-facility product standardization. Excellent program management skills, specifically in developing and maintaining system programs. Lean or Six Sigma certified is a plus. Accomplished in implementation of expense reduction programs including equipment maintenance, capital equipment selection and technology assessment, consumable product evaluation, including physician and clinical staff coordination. Good communication and presentation skills. Experienced in facilitating multi-disciplinary groups. Familiar with spreadsheet, data base and materials management computer applications. Working knowledge of general ledger and accounts payable principles and applications. Firm grasp of principles of finance, capital assets management, analytics, and cost reporting. Good team building, task force development and problem analysis and resolution skills. Self-motivated with good time management skills. Must be goal oriented and flexible. Excellent supervisory skills with solid understanding of principles of empowerment, motivation and staff development.