To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values - integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion - must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
Laboratory Associates work in the clinical laboratories as part of a team with Medical Technologists and report to Core lab manager. Responsible for handling and processing blood specimens and body fluids to include: centrifugation, decapping, loading of instrument cassettes and routing specimens to the appropriate area and instruments. Responsible to accurately log specimens into the laboratory information system. Provides a variety of office functions to include: filing and faxing of patient reports. Works effectively with the customer to answer specimen or other laboratory related questions in a timely manner to ensure the best patient care. Responsible for data retrieval.Run some waived testing of samples and resulting these tests into the computer system.
- 1. Communication Skills/Customer Service: Receives calls for information. Transmits results for all laboratory testing to the appropriate healthcare team members on request to ensure that the laboratory fulfills the mission of providing excellent patient care while maintaining patient confidentiality. .
- 1.1 Demonstrates good customer service by answering the phone within three (3) rings with name, department and 'how may I help you?' always asks permission of caller to be placed on hold. Receives no more than 2 relevant complaints from our customers.
- 2. Specimen Handling: Receives, sorts, redirects, accessions and processes specimens in order to ensure timely reporting of results. Ensures positive patient identification. Able to run, maintain and troubleshoot the Roche MPA7 instrumentation.
- 2.1 Follows the established sample handling guidelines and standard precautions. Triages to the appropriate area in a timely manner. Exceeds: No more than 2 sample processing errors. No sample processing errors that relate to correct patient identification.
- 3. Computer Skills: Uses computer programs in laboratory and hospital based systems to ensure accurate data entry and retrieval. Recognizes and addresses problems, malfunction, downtime situations or crashes. Communicates and/or assists computer operations to resolve problems as documented by computer operations, managers and supervisors.
- 3.1 Uses all computer based systems. Recognizes malfunctions and communicates problems to computer operations. Exceeds: Ability to resolve problems independently.
- 4. Laboratory Support Functions: Performs a variety of ancillary functions in support of laboratory operations.
- 4.1 When necessary responsible for faxing reports to authorized healthcare providers. Completes required documentation in accordance with departmental policy and compliance guidelines. Exceeds: Works with computer operations to update fax information.
HS degree required, AS or BS degree in Health Sciences or related field preferred.
2 years related hospital laboratory experience preferred.
standing 75%, walking 50%, lifting 25 lbs. And the opening and closing of sample carriers up to 2 hours. Working knowledge of computer systems and medical terminology. Excellent customer service skills required to include: communication skills, telephone skills and interpersonal skills. Excellent attention to detail is a must. Must be able to perform multiple tasks and have the ability to prioritize. Flexibility in scheduling will be required.