To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values - integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion - must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
Under the direction of the Laboratory Manager, Laboratory Associates work in the Hematology Laboratory as part of a team with Medical Laboratory Scientists, Laboratory Coordinators, Coagulation Specialist, Assistant Chief Technologist, and Lab Manager. This position is responsible for handling and processing specimens to include: specimen tracking, correcting requisitions, accessioning, loading sample racks as per laboratory procedures. Is responsible to accurately call critical results and document comments into the laboratory information system. Provides a variety of office functions to include: filing, faxing and answering phones. Works effectively with the customer to answer questions related specimens or other laboratory related topics in a timely manner to ensure the best patient care.
- 1. 1. Communication Skills/Customer Service: Receives calls for information. Transmits results for all laboratory testing to the appropriate healthcare team members on request to ensure that the laboratory fulfills the mission of providing excellent patient care while maintaining patient confidentiality.
- 1.1 Demonstrates good customer service by answering the phone within four rings with name, department, and 'How may I help you?". Is cognizant of the hospital's policy concerning personal phone calls.
- 2. Specimen Handling: Sorts, tracks, retrieves, and racks specimens in order to ensure timely reporting of results. Ensures positive patient identification. Is able to independently troubleshoot specimen-related problems.
- 2.1 Follows the established sample handling guidelines and standard precautions. Sorts specimens by specimen type and prepares specimens for instrumentation.
- 3. Computer Skills: Uses computer programs in laboratory and hospital based systems to ensure accurate data entry and retrieval. Recognizes and addresses problems, malfunction, downtime situations or crashes.
- 3.1 Uses all computer based systems. Recognizes malfunctions and communicates problems to Coordinators, Assistant Chief Technologist, and Lab Manager.
- 4. Laboratory Support Functions: Performs a variety of ancillary functions in support of laboratory operations.
- 4.1 Helps to receive supplies and stocks lab benches as needed.
High school graduate. College coursework or Associate or Bachelor degree in science preferred.
Two (2) years experience in a clinical laboratory or phlebotomy or Associate or Bachelor degree in science preferred.
Walking 35%, Standing 35%, Lifting 25 lbs. Working knowledge of computer systems and medical terminology helpful. Typing experience required (preferred 20-25 wpm). Excellent customer service skills required to include: communication skills, telephone skills, and interpersonal skills. Excellent attention to detail is a must. Must be able to perform multiple tasks and have the ability to prioritize. Flexibility in scheduling will be required.