To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values - integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion - must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
Laboratory Associates work in the core laboratory as part of a team with Medical Technologists and report to laboratory coordinators, assistant chief technologists and lab managers. Is responsible for handling and processing blood specimens and body fluids to include: accessioning, centrifugation, decapping, loading of samples in front automation instrumentation and routing specimens to the appropriate area. Is responsible for handling samples via pneumatic tube system. Is responsible for accurately accessioning specimens into the laboratory information system. Provides a variety of clerical functions to include: scanning and faxing. Works effectively with the customer to answer specimen or other laboratory related questions in a timely manner to ensure the best patient care. Is responsible for data entry and retrieval.
- 1. Communication Skills/Customer Service: Receives calls for information. Transmits results for all laboratory testing to the appropriate healthcare team members on request to ensure that the laboratory fulfills the mission of providing excellent patient care while maintaining patient confidentiality.?
- 1.1 Demonstrates good customer service by answering the phone within three (3) rings with name, department, and 'How may I help you?' Always asks permission of caller to be placed on hold. Receives no more than 2 relevant complaints from our customers.
- 2. Specimen Handling: Receives, sorts, accessions specimens in order to ensure accurate and timely reporting of results. Ensures positive patient identification. Is able to independently troubleshoot specimen-related problems.
- 2.1 Follows the established sample handling guidelines and standard precautions. Sorts and accessions specimens by specimen type, stability and priority. Exceeds: No more than 2 sample processing errors. No sample processing errors which relate to correct patient identification.
- 3. Computer Skills: Uses computer programs in laboratory and hospital based systems to ensure accurate data entry and retrieval. Recognizes and addresses problems, malfunction, downtime situations or crashes. Communicates and/or assists computer operations to resolve problems as documented by computer operations, managers and supervisors.
- 3.1 Uses all computer based systems. Recognizes malfunctions and communicates problems to computer operations. Exceeds: Ability to resolve problems independently.
- 4. Specimen Processing and storage: Centrifuges, aliquots and properly stores specimens to ensure accurate stability and patient identification is maintained. Exceeds: Is able to troubleshoot specimen-related problems and act as a resource for others.
- 4.1 Follows all processing and aliquoting guidelines to correctly process specimens. Uses resources on hand, the Lab Test Manual and lab labels to properly aliquot all samples. Exceeds: Is able to troubleshoot specimen problems and act as a resource to others.
HS degree required, AS or BS degree in Health Sciences or related field preferred.
2 years related hospital laboratory experience preferred.
No special working demands.
Standing 50 %, walking 15%, lifting 25 lbs. and the opening and closing of sample carriers. Working knowledge of computer systems and medical terminology helpful. Excellent customer service skills required to include: communication skills, telephone skills and interpersonal skills. Excellent attention to detail is a must. Must be able to perform multiple tasks and have the ability to prioritize. Flexibility in scheduling will be required.