To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values - integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion - must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
Has the responsibility and accountability for all administrative, technical and personnel matters required for the efficient and high quality operation and management of the Molecular Pathology Laboratory. Is administratively accountable for both capital and operating budget development. Has the responsibility for development, interpretation and application of section policies and procedures, budgets and long-range planning in conjunction with the Medical Director and Director, Laboratory Services.
- 1. Manages and directs the daily operations of the Molecular Pathology Laboratory, including approving work schedules, maintaining proper staffing, and supervising the daily work activities of medical technologists and clerical staff.
- 2. Responsible for maintaining the operating budget within the expense base. Provides monthly status report of operating budget to Laboratory Leadership and Financial Analyst including detailed and clear explanation on all variances.
- 3. Ensures appropriateness of test requests in coordination with Director and medical staff. Reviews and evaluates report validation, abnormal and unexpected test results with medical staff.
- 4. Responsible for quality control and quality assurance for all disciplines of laboratory testing performed in the sections. Manages clinical issues and is capable of referring as appropriate to the Medical Director as needed. Ensures continuity, timeliness and quality of services.
- 5. Ensures adequate laboratory supplies and sound inventory control within budget parameters.
- 6. Responsible for the training for clinical pathology residents, medical students, housestaff, infectious disease fellows and medical technologists. Provides orientation to new employees and ongoing in-service instruction to assigned personnel
- 7. Maintains effective liaison with other areas of the Hospital concerning laboratory procedures. Addresses conflict between lab policies and physician demands for testing, and either resolves them or brings them to the attention of the Medical Director.
- 8. Ensures that all laboratory equipment is properly maintained to include service contractual arrangements and facilitates repair when necessary.
- 9. In conjunction with lab ITS, ensures effective IT functionality for the laboratory section. Reviews and updates IT utilization of the section annually.
- 10. Evaluates all laboratory functions, policies, procedures and equipment and makes effective recommendations regarding improvements or revisions.
- 11. Participates in the selection and motivation of all laboratory personnel. Responsible for the administration of compensation, promotions, transfers, terminations and disciplinary action. Conducts employee performance reviews on review date. Responsible for review and update of job descriptions as needed.
- 12. Responsible for statistical information necessary for all surveys, preparation of reports, documents, payroll records and other data as required.
- 13. Assists Medical Director in development of capital and operating budget plans.
- 14. Responsible for annual updates to costing of all laboratory tests. Recommends and takes action with Medical Director regarding changes in test methodology to reduce costs.
- 15. Adheres to all Hazcom, Universal Precautions, fire and safety policies and procedures. Responsible for annual staff retaining for all safety policies. Responsible documentation and responses to safety events through on-line portals and for participating in safety rounds.
- 16. Responsible for monitoring technical competency of technical personnel to include annual competency evaluation as per CAP regulations.
- 17. Maintains annual continuing education to improve management effectiveness and technical expertise.
- 18. Participates in, at minimum, one departmental project, which supports the Hospital's community service mission.
- 19. Maintains membership in necessary professional societies.
- 20. Responsible for maximizing employee satisfaction through counseling, facilitating, holding meetings and resolving Employee Opinion Survey issues.
- 21. Performs other administrative duties within the laboratory section as necessary.
- 22. Responsible for participating in the development and evaluation of new methodologies for use in the laboratory.
- 23. Responsible for overseeing Quality Management plans in both Molecular Diagnostics and Tumor Profiling sections. This includes proficiency in generating, reviewing, and presenting quality data.
- 24. Responsible for maintaining regulatory readiness at all times. Has intimate and current knowledge of the requirements of all regulatory agencies including CAP, CLIA, DPH & JCAHO.
Bachelor of Science degree in Medical Technology, Molecular Biology or related field with MT(ASCP) or MB(ASCP) certification. Those with equivalent certification or those eligible for certification will also be considered, Masters Degree in Health Sciences or Healthcare Administration preferred.
A minimum of 5 years working as a Medical Technologist in a Molecular Diagnostics Laboratory, or another laboratory performing relevant testing, including one to three years of supervisory and/or management experience.
Excellent managerial, technical, fiscal, interpersonal, problem solving and organizational skills.