To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values - integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion - must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
The Nurse Coordinator for Oncology Multispecialty Care Centers (OMCC) is an integral member of an assigned Disease Team. The OMCC Nurse Coordinator focuses on: 1) navigating the patient and family across care settings according to the established patient care plan, 2) ensuring that the patient/family have appropriate information, understand and have the capacity to adhere to the medical plan, and 3) bridging between the various consultants, services, points of care encountered by patient/family. The primary roles of this provider are serving as a consistent primary contact for new patients and their families, partnering with the Intake Assistant to expedite entry of new patients into the system and collaborating with Disease Team members to ensure coordination of care across the continuum for the designated patient population. The OMCC Nurse Coordinator synchronizes patient/family care across care settings beginning with the initial referral and consultative visit and ending with handoff at a designated point determined by the specific disease team (will vary according to patient population and disease team preferences). The OMCC Nurse Coordinator interfaces with point of care staff in accordance with the plan for patient care, educates patients and families based on determination of learning needs, and communicates plan detail to patient/family, physicians, mid-level providers, others involved in the patient's care.
- 1. Clinical Practice: Patient/Family Assessment (Initial and Ongoing)
- 1.1 Collects Level II* patient data for new patients using established assessment form prior to initial visit to assess patient/family current and projected future needs; Note: Level II patient data includes physical and psychosocial history, current medical status, medication review, teaching/learning evaluation
- 2. Clinical Practice: Patient/Family Education
- 2.1 Develops a patient/family education plan based on assessment findings relevant to teaching learning topics, styles and the identification of special needs and preferences.
- 3. Clinical Practice: Care Coordination and Patient/Family Referral
- 3.1 Alerts Tumor Board Coordinator to place patient on listing for treatment planning session and, if patient will be present, facilitates patient participation; attends treatment planning sessions and documents treatment plans formulated.
- 4. Clinical Practice: Clinical Research
- 4.1 Identifies candidates for open clinical trials and communicates to physician, mid-level provider and assigned research nurse; collaborates with Research Nurses to ensure follow-through on clinical trials accrual of individual patients.
- 5. Clinical Program Support
- 5.1 Oversees Intake Assistant performance by analyzing accuracy and completeness of data compiled on new patients and observing patient/family interactions; provides feedback to supervisor.
- 6. Professional Development
- 6.1 Sets and strives to meet annual goals for professional development
- 7. Addendum: When needed or as assigned, performs practice/clinic nurse function as outlined in Clinical Nurse in the Ambulatory Practice/Outpatient Multispecialty Care Center functional description/overview
Bachelor's Degree in Nursing highly preferred; Master's Degree in Health-related field preferred
A minimum of three (3) years experience in adult inpatient services, ambulatory oncology service or operating room. Oncology experience preferred
Connecticut RN license;
Connecticut RN license; Oncology Nursing Society certification (OCN, AOCN) desirable
Medical oncology experience required
Urology experience strongly preferred
Experience in nurse coordinator, care coordination or care navigation preferred. Ambulatory clinic experience strongly preferred.
Ability to work as a member of a team and manage multiple priorities required. Excellent communication and customer service skills required.
This position is Monday-Friday.