To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values - integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion - must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
Under the direction of the Supervisor of Environmental Services, performs a variety of duties using various equipment and supplies to maintain established cleanliness and meet acceptable department standards of environmental areas.
- 1. Follows department procedures to ensure a safe environment. 1 .1 Sets up equipment and ready for use with necessary supplies. 1 .2 Corrects observed discrepancies immediately (e.g. spills on the floor, trash or linen overflowing). 1 .3 Completes required housekeeping assignments as scheduled and according to procedure. 1 .4 Reports all uncompleted assignments to supervisor prior to end of shift. 1 .5 Reports all discrepancies (such as stained curtains, broken fixtures, holes in walls, graffiti, etc.) to service response center or supervisor. 1 .6 Ensures that all chemical containers are properly labeled and contain correct solution. 1 .7 Returns all mops/rags/dusters at the end of the shift. 1 .8 Maintains a clean and orderly porter closet.
- 2. Performs housekeeping tasks to ensure the sanitary condition of all areas. 2 .1 Keeps ceiling and wall vents free of dust (high dusting) 2 .2 Cleans furniture, doors, walls and horizontal surfaces. 2 .3 Keeps all interior windows clear of smudges and tape marks. 2 .4 Maintains bathrooms in acceptable condition by properly cleaning all fixtures, walls, floors, sinks, and commodes. 2 .5 Checks all dispensers (paper towels, toilet paper, soap) daily and refills as needed. 2 .6 Collects sharps containers when ? full, disposes properly and replaces with new liner. 2 .7 Ensures that all trash receptacles are cleaned regularly. 2 .8 On discharge, cleans mattresses and bed frames of dust, blood, food, and body secretions, then remakes bed with clean linen. 2 .9 On discharge, cleans all equipment in room, removes as necessary, and readies room for next admission. 2 .10 Maintains floors in acceptable condition by proper dust mopping, damp mopping, or vacuuming. No build-up in corners. 2 .11 Inspects own work to ensure it is properly completed. 2 .12 Performs unit-specific tasks.
- 3. Performs various trash removal duties to provide a clean and sanitary environment. 3 .1 Collects recycling waste (cardboard, fiber, bottles/cans/plastic, confidential documents) from all storage areas (elevator landings, utility rooms, etc.) and transports to appropriate storage facilities in basement. 3 .2 Assists in breaking down cardboard boxes to facilitate removal from unit. 3 .3 Removes medical waste containers and sharps containers from storage areas on units and transports to medical waste holding room in basement. 3 .4 Ensures all confidential paper containers are locked after removal of documents.
- 4. Follows proper protocol to ensure safe handling and disposal of contaminated items. 4 .1 Handles and disposes medical waste and sharps observing all required precautions. 4 .2 Ensures that all trash and linen chute doors are closed and latched after each use. 4 .3 Ties all trash and linen bags and puts them in appropriate trash or linen chute. 4 .4 Responds immediately to calls for spill clean-up or other safety related issue. 4 .5 All materials used for spill clean-ups are properly disposed. 4 .6 Relines linen hampers and trash cans with appropriate bags.
- 5. Maintains bed management system for room availability. 5 .1 Works to achieve patient room turnaround is accomplished within standard time. 5 .2 Anticipates discharges in order to plan work schedule. 5 .3 Maintains bed management availability data, insuring information is correctly entered into the IVR. 5 .4 Special Skills: Ability to read, write, and perform basic math. Must be able to read instructional materials and labels. Must be able to participate as a member of the patient care team. Demonstrates the ability to coordinate diverse responsibilities. 5 .5 Accountability: (how this position is held accountable for such as, goals achievement, budget adherence, or other areas of accountability): Accountable for following all departmental and Hospital policies and procedures. Completes assigned duties in a timely and accurate manner. Responsible for conducting themselves and performing all duties to support the goals of the patient care team. 5 .6 Complexity: (Describe planning, problem solving, decision making, creative activity, or other special factors inherent in the responsibilities of this position): 5 .7 Informational: Special working conditions and physical activities: Must be able to operate cleaning equipment and lift up to 40 pounds as are required for the specific task available. All duties require some pushing, pulling, bending, and standing. Consistent use of proper body mechanics. 5.8 Scope of Supervision/# Supervised Directly N/A
High School graduate or GED.
Six months demonstrated customer service related work experience required. Must successfully complete a training program provided by the Environmental Services Department and achieve competence in all duties.
Excellent Customer Service and communication skills. Ability to read, write and perform basic math. Ability to work independently. Able to perform as part of the patient care team. Detail beyond this may be put in the Responsibilities section since it may vary by position.
Mulitiple positions available