To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values - integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion - must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
At Bridgeport Hospital, we are committed to providing quality medical care and treatment that is coordinated and centered on the patient's specific needs. We strive to achieve benchmarks as a Patient Centered Medical Home and provide health care in a setting where patients are at the center of their care team. All employees of Bridgeport Hospital are part of the patients care team and contribute to the team approach of promoting access, continuous, comprehensive care and work to provide quality improvement in the care provided to their patients.
Performs diversified routine and technical procedures. Exercises initiative and judgement to solve problem. Prepares and processes tissue specimens for microscopic examination. Inputs information into the LIS. Maintains equipment and prepares special stains and immunohistochemistry stains. Files surgical pathology blocks and slides. Has a working comprehension of the technical and procedural aspects of histopathology. Comprehends and follows Procedure guidelines. Recognizes unexpected results and instrument malfunction and takes appropriate action.Demonstrates laboratory technical skills to other laboratory personnel.
- 1. Surgical Pathology
- 1.1 Adheres to the procedure manual for proper handling of specimens, and quality results in other situations.
- 2. Special and Immunohistochemistry Staining
- 2.1 Prepares and checks appropriate stains. Expertise in general routine H&E staining. Sets up appropriate special stain and Immunohistochemistry techniques. Performing necessary QC, maintenance and documentation. Sets up appropriate special procedures when protocols specify. Performs and records all QC and proficiency testing.
- 3. Equipment Maintenance
- 3.1 Attends necessary training on new and existing equipment for proper usage instruction as noted in equipment file.
- 4. Continued Medical Education
- 4.1 Takes initiative to update knowledge of and skills in new procedures, equipment, methods, tools, techniques, and so forth.
- 5. Related Responsibilities
- 5.1 Assist in cutting room as needed.
Bachelors degree in related science with HTL is preferred.
Three (3) to seven (7) years' experience in accredited Anatomic Pathology Laboratory preferred.
HTL preferred. HT (ASCP) certification required.
Extreme manual dexterity required. Excellent attention to detail, hand-eye coordination, technical, communication and organization skills required. Comprehends and follows procedural guidelines. Recognizes unexpected results and takes appropriate action.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. They are occasionally required to stand; walk; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. They must lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.Specific vision abilities include close vision, distance vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. They are occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts and fumes or airborne particles. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.