To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values - integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion - must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
Under the general supervision of the Laboratory Support Services Manager, performs phlebotomy for Inpatients and/or Outpatients based upon work assignment. Performs duties required for operation of a drawing station, including patient registration and test order entry. Consistently interacts with patients and clients in a positive manner.
- 1. Collects and delivers blood samples on patients in a safe and efficient manner, following department standards to support quality care.
- 1.1 Follows universal precaution standards for each blood collection, 100% of the time.
- 2. Participates in daily upkeep of blood draw area.
- 2.1 Maintains cleanliness and neatness of blood draw room and/or mobile phlebotomy cart and tray.
- 3. Assists in Teaching students and new employees
- 3.1 Assists in training of new personnel.
- 4. Performs all functions relating to Laboratory Medicine patient intake information.
- 4.1 1. Using Hospital standards, chooses existing or creates new medical record numbers inthe YNHH HIS and creates a complete registration.
- 5. Consistently enters lab test orders into the HIS or LIS accurately and efficiently. Uses hand-held scanner for Inpatient Identification and collection label generation.
- 5.1 Enters patient lab orders efficiently to insure minimal patient wait times.
- 6. Transports inpatient specimens; processes outpatient specimens for courier transport in order to facilitate timely specimen testing.
- 6.1 Follows established specimen handling guidelines and precautions.
- 7. Adheres to regulatory standards for Laboratory Testing
- 7.1 Consistently captures ABN information for Medicare Patients when required for Outpatient services.
High school diploma. Completion of an approved phlebotomy certification course or equivalent experience with on the job training.
A minimum of one year of current phlebotomy experience OR successful completion of a YNHHS Laboratory Medicine Phlebotomy Internship.