To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values - integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion - must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
Under the direction of the Respiratory Care Management Team, the supervisor shall be responsible for the supervision and coordination of the work activities of department personnel. Ensures efficient utilization of personnel and equipment to provide the highest level of respiratory care for all age-specific groups to meet regulatory standards. Serves as a resource person and role model for staff. Provides support to the Management Team for all Respiratory Care operations and assumes full departmental responsibility as the need arises.
- 1. Supervises and coordinates the patient care activities of Respiratory Care personnel and ensures patient care responsibilities are performed consistent with age-specific criteria.
- 2. Reviews patient treatment and progress with the therapist on rounds; evaluates and documents the quality of treatment; offers assistance, advice, instruction and encouragement.
- 3. Exercises close surveillance over Intensive Care units and Step down units, ensuring the highest level of care for all age-specific groups of patients requiring invasive and non-invasive ventilatory support.
- 4. Participates in the planning of student experience in Respiratory Care, ensuring quality patient care and providing educational opportunities for students; teaches students as required.
- 5. Conducts and documents orientation for all new personnel.
- 6. Interviews and makes recommendations on the selection of new personnel.
- 7. Conducts performance appraisal and recommends salary increases, disciplinary action, promotions and other related personnel transactions.
- 8. Serves as a resource by developing knowledge of new techniques and equipment and instructing/ mentoring staff.
- 9. Assists the Management Team in the development, maintenance and implementation of departmental policies and procedures. Monitors departmental personnel's compliance with Hospital and department policies and procedures.
- 10. Anticipates and identifies problems. Selects and implements methods of resolution.
- 11. Maintains all necessary Respiratory Care records pertaining to personnel, continuous quality improvement, and equipment.
- 12. Assists and consults with physicians concerning care of patients of all age-specific groups; supports Respiratory Care personnel in dealings with other professionals.
- 13. Assists in the development of department goals and budget planning for equipment and staff.
- 14. Performs duties of therapist as required to ensure respiratory care needs of all age-specific groups are met.
- 15. Ensures regulatory compliance and compliance with Hospital Standards and Regulations.
- 16. Provides operational support to the Management Team for all Respiratory Care functions.
- 17. Provides inservices for other departments within the Medical Center (i.e. nursing, house staff).
- 18. Creates an environment conducive to participatory management by encouraging and supporting staff generated ideas and input and conducting rounding on a regular basis.
- 19. Maintains, promotes and enhances emotional and physical well-being of self and personnel.
- 20. As assigned, serves as departmental representative with respect to correspondence, hospital committees, and projects.
- 21. Fosters professional growth and behavior through leadership by example and participation in professional organizations.
- 22. Assumes responsibilities of Manager as situation warrants.
- 23. Performs other duties as required or assigned.
- 24. Supports hospital initiatives to ensure a safe environment for all.
- 25. Supports hospital initiatives to ensure service excellence for patients, visitors, and staff.
Graduate of a CoArc accredited program in Respiratory Care with a Bachelor's degree in Respiratory Care or related field required.
Masters Degree desirable
Minimum of eight (8) years experience as a Respiratory Care Practitioner which includes a demonstration of increasing responsibility in supervision/management.
-CT Respiratory Care Practitioner License, Issuing Agency: State of Connecticut
-Registered Respiratory Therapist, Issuing Agency: National Board for Respiratory Care
Demonstrated expertise in a broad spectrum of inpatient Respiratory Care.
-Strong interpersonal skills
-Ability to manage multiple priorities
-Strong leadership, team building skills
-Demonstrated ability to mentor others.