To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values - integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion - must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
Performs a variety of medical secretary duties in busy multidisciplinary ambulatory medical office. Responsible for managing various task related to the administrative aspects and patient care in ambulatory office. Assist with the administrative management of care for patients including scheduling patient appointments and procedures, registration of patients, filing, dictation, insurance verification for testing and cardiac rehabilitation. Completes end of day reports which includes collecting co-pays. Utilizes strong verbal and written communication skills during telephone contact as well as face to face communications with patients and staff. Updates electronic medical record.
1. Manages Epic In baskets and correspondence.
1.1 1:Composes and proofreads documents to ensure proper grammar usage and verifies spelling
2. Uses appropriate format in typing materials. Organizes text in a neat, clean, easy-to-read format.
3. Maintains files and databases in EMR and computer
2. Answers incoming calls, triage and transfer calls as appropriate and relay/documents information n EMR. Schedules appointments and procedures. Escalates callers concerns appropriately.,
2.1 1:Answers phone within three rings identifying self and department on each call; asks the caller's
permission before placing on "hold".
2. Utilizes appropriate verbal and non-verbal communication when interacting with each person and
situations; asks relevant and understandable questions. Medical secretary provides translation and
support to non-English speaking patients and visitors utilizing appropriate resources.
3. Immediately relays accurate messages to appropriate staff .
3. Maintains patient Epic charts and department logs.
3.1 1:Files, sorts, or stores all material accurately and in a timely manner utilizing the electronic medical record.
2. Maintains complete, accurate records in appropriate order and purges files in accordance with
policy to ensure ready accessibility.
3. Assists with development and maintenance of paperless charting system
4. Assist with maintaining inventory of office supplies and equipment.
4.1 1:Appropriately orders supplies as required, avoiding overstocks or unexpected shortages; charges
appropriate cost center and account when ordering supplies.
2. Rotates stock and keeps it in a neat and orderly fashion. Unpacks and stores supplies ensuring
delivery of ordered items.
3. Assists with fiscal accountability through appropriate ordering of supplies in order to assist manager
in maintaining departmental budget; suggests cost savings approaches.
5. Functions well within department. Develops professional work relationships and attitude.
5.1 1:Appropriately uses sick leave or personal time; adheres to time and attendance policies.
2. Maintains a "team spirit" attitude. Always demonstrates the ability to remain friendly and
cooperative during all work conditions, especially during moments of high stress.
3. Responds in a positive manner to constructive criticism and change.
6. Assists with orientation and mentoring of staff. Functions as a role model and assists in maintaining a professional work environment.
6.1 1. Explains correct procedures in a courteous and understandable fashion.
2. Interacts with new employees in a patient and positive manner.
3. Initiates resolutions to problems and questions.
7. Registers and interviews patients to obtain insurance and general information.
7.1 1. Greets patient and family member in an attentive and courteous manner.
2. Enters accurate patient data information and completes department forms in a timely manner.
3. Completes full registration; enters patient registration information into hospital systems accurately.
8. Maintains oversight and data entry related to billing process.
8.1 1: Inputs insurance information into EMR with accuracy.
2. Performs end of day report for all encounters.
3 Collaborates with central registration and billing in order to ensure all insurance & demographic
information is accurate and entered into the EMR
9. Assists with and maintains effeciencies within Ambulatory Cardiology Offices
9.1 1: Carries out tasks in a responsive manner by organizing activities to ensure efficient , cost effective completion.
2. Independently gathers information and follows up on identified issues or concerns
3. Assists with coordinating administrative aspects of department projects
HS diploma or GED. **Employees employed by YNHH effective 9/12/2012 as a result of the acquisition of the Hospital of St Raphael may meet educational requirements with the applicable combination of education and experience and demonstration of current competences.
Experience-Previous customer service experience preferably in healthcare or medical office setting. Proficient computer skills; willing to learn Epic and medical office workflow.
Special skills- Must possess excellent verbal and written communication skills to handle high volume telephone calls, patient visits, patient registration, scheduling of appointments and testing. Must possess ability to prioritize task to enhance work flow and multitask responsibilities. Must be able to interact as part of a multidisciplinary team as well as working independently. Bilingual preferred.
THIS POSITION IS COVERED BY THE TEAMSTERS COLLECTIVE BARGAINING AGREEMENT
Minimum - $16.36/hr.
Maximum - $30.37/hr.