To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values - integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion - must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
Under the supervision of the Laboratory Manager, assists with the supervision of laboratory operations, including the monitoring of day-to-day operations, scheduling or edits to work assignments as needed, advanced problem solving resolution, monitoring of environmental issues, and contribution to the employee appraisal system. Works under the direction of the manager to supervise technical staff on evening or night shift in the areas of routine operation or if requested, special projects, assay research, and new test development. Participates and contributes to the laboratory Quality Control and Quality Assurance programs. Monitors CAP compliance and maintains compliance with new and revised regulatory requirements. Serves as a shift lead with regard to special projects, IT changes and upgrades, new protocols, and the implementation or evaluation of new instrumentation. Assists the manager with the monitoring of policy and policy changes as they apply to all assigned sections on shift to enhance operational effectiveness. Provides technical assistance to all staff on shift and serves as a resource capable of handling complex problems. Accepts and has aptitude for leadership, special projects, new initiatives, and assay development. Lead involvement in the secondary on shift training and transition of newly assigned staff. Cooperatively and proactively assists in other areas as needed in a teamwork oriented environment. Maintains procedure knowledge and implements all new and revised procedures in real time. Maintains all Quality Control and Quality Assurance standards at all times. Provides proficiency testing oversight following all routine standards and workflow. Maintains effective communications and harmoniously transfers information or new and revised procedures to employees and shifts following all CHAMP and HRO standards. Maintains operational effectiveness and assumes full responsibility for continuing education requirements, licensure, and expertise to adapt as needed to an expanding department with increased testing complexity.
- 1. SHIFT LEAD AND REGULATORY SUPPORT: Responsible for the day-to-day operational need of assigned shift and supports the laboratory manager and section coordinators with regulatory compliance by serving as shift lead for all regulatory matters or assignments.
- 1.1 Monitors daily workflow; addresses problems/issues as they arise proactively and continually reassesses staffing needs in the lab and rearranges staff as required in order to maintain optimum operational efficiency and attain target turnaround time goals. Establishes priorities to accommodate increased workload and emergency needs to maintain appropriate turn-around for test results. Periodically reviews turn-around time for consistency.
- 2. SUPERVISORY SKILLS: Supervises staff to ensure compliance with department and hospital policies and procedures.
- 2.1 Monitors daily work flow; and addresses problems/issues as they arise. Proactively and continually reassesses staffing needs in the lab section and rearranges staff as required in order to maintain optimum operational efficiency and attain target turnaround time goals.
- 3. TECHNICAL SKILLS: Demonstrates technical competency by performing a wide variety of techniques in the chemistry laboratory, these include moderate to highly complexity tests.
- 3.1 Assesses and processes specimens according to established procedural criteria. Assists floor with inquiries concerning specimen collection; documents specimen problems; rejects inappropriate specimens.
- 4. PROFESSIONAL SKILLS: Participates in activities that demonstrate commitment to competency, career growth, and professionalism.
- 4.1 Must have excellent communication skills. Effectively communicates with the staff in a clear and concise manner. Encourages and elicits feedback from staff on work process improvement. Communicates well with other members of the Hospital staff, including physicians, nurses, managers, and supervisors of other departments. Maintains open communication with other members of the Department of Laboratory Medicine, including the Laboratory Directors, Laboratory Managers, and other section/shift coordinators. Effectively communicates pertinent issues to the Laboratory Manager.
Bachelor of Science Degree in Medical Technology or equivalent with MLS / MT (ASCP) certification or equivalent. Continuing education, project involvement, high performance maintenance, and professional commitment required.
Two (2) to three (3) years high complexity clinical chemistry laboratory experience as a medical technologist.
MLS / MT (ASCP) certification or equivalent.
Working knowledge and experience with instrumentation and equipment used in a Clinical Chemistry laboratory; superior supervisory and leadership skills required. High level efficiency in word processing applications, spreadsheet design / utilization and use of web based resources. High level of knowledge of laboratory information systems required. Must have excellent communication skills and the ability to communicate in an effective and professional manner with hospital staff. Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills are required. The ability to work as a member of a team is essential.