To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values - integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion - must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
The Patient Financial Access Specialist - Clinical Scheduling functions as the liaison between the referring physician
and the patient in managing appointment, procedure and surgery scheduling across multiple departments. This
individual works in collaboration with patients, physicians, nurse professionals and YM/NEMG in order to accurately
manage and make decisions related to the sequencing of complex physician and surgery scheduling. Schedules
patients for surgery and coordinates operating rooms, schedules of surgeons, equipment and assistants needed for
the procedure. Is familiar with standard concepts, practices, and procedures within a particular field in order to
comply with scheduling requirements and distribute pre and post -operative information to patients. Communicates
directly with the patient and /or the referring physician office to ensure instructions, preparations or laboratory test
requirements prior to the procedure/appointment have been met. Coordinates multiple patient appointments and
manages patient and insurance demographics to ensure appropriate reimbursement for services provided. A major
focus in completing these responsibilities will rely on the individual 's attention to detail, specificity and accuracy as it
relates to the surgery, the supporting documentation and an extraordinary level of patient sensitivity and
compassion. Position requires the individual to maintain a high awareness of Service Excellence representing 'I am
YNHH' and exhibiting the Standards of Professional Behavior at all times and in all locations. Performs certain
statistical and QA functions to aid in the developing of new procedures and participates in the planning and
implementation of these to enhance the operating functions of the department. Works independently under limited
supervision, requiring a certain degree of creativity and latitude in order to successfully navigate complex scheduling
and ensure a positive patient experience.
- 1. Patient Throughput: Ensures all required information is obtained from referring physicians and providers in
clinical areas and provided to the third party payers to ensure reimbursement for services delivered within the
- 1.1 Accurately sequences complex procedures across multiple departments/locations.
- 2. Surgery Scheduling: Coordinates and supports tasks related to patient surgical scheduling.
- 2.1 Gathers booking sheets and consents from the clinic, completing them when necessary. Provides CPT
codes and documents surgical procedures prior to scheduling.
- 3. Utilizes a variety of software applications, reports and statistical data: Utilizes all applicable computer
systems such as but not limited to Epic, OR at a Glance, One Line Eligibility to accomplish tasks and in the
appropriate scheduling of the patient. Manages changes in process in order to service our patients and
clinicians and always maintains high productivity standards.
- 3.1 Maintains a strong working knowledge of the Epic system with the ability to schedule complex and time
sensitive appointment types.
- 4. Resource Management/Quality Assurance (QA): In collaboration with Supervisor/Manager, provides support
in other outpatient service departments and routinely provides coverage as necessary to maintain skill sets.
- 4.1 Independently optimizes time related to patient appointment scheduling.
- 5. Customer Service: Provides service excellence as outlined in the Health System Standards of Professional
- 5.1 Ensures smooth functioning of all processes in order to guarantee a positive patient experience by
acknowledging and receiving patients and visitors to the department following the YNHHS Standards of
- 6. Performs other duties as assigned by Management.
- 6.1 As needed, reviews and updates all training materials and provides training to other staff members.
High school diploma or GED required. Associate degree preferred
Two (2) to three (3) years' work experience in a customer service environment preferably in hospital /physician office
with high call volumes and low abandonment rates. Experience in maintaining and scheduling physician and testing
services while making decisions to ensure patient satisfaction is achieved.
Self-directed, well organized and exhibiting team oriented skills with the ability and desire to educate and advocate
for patients and their families. Must be able to multitask and reprioritize in response to fluctuations in volume .
Strong interpersonal skills and ability to build rapport with a wide variety of individuals including clinical staff in order
to meet the patient's needs. Basic understanding of medical terminology. Excellent investigative, critical thinking
and problem solving skills. Intermediate computer skills and the ability to adapt to various programs /systems.
Demonstrated proficiency in understanding registration work queues that affect workflow. Must be able to provide
training or in-service to other staff and areas within the department and Hospital. Consistently demonstrates
effective written and oral communication skills in coordination with the Standards of Professional Behavior with the
ability to communicate complex requirements across clinical and financial disciplines.