To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values - integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion - must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
Under the general supervision of the Outreach Phlebotomy Manager and the Coordinator of the Outpatient Phlebotomy services within Laboratory Medicine, performs phlebotomy for patients seen at draw station locations. Also performs various office duties as necessary to support the draw station operations. Consistently interacts with patients and clients in a positive manner.
- Daily stocks supplies in the blood drawing room to ensure that service to patients takes place efficiently without compromise to care.
- Reviews requisitions for completeness of information to include diagnosis information, physician signature and any special specimen instructions. If incomplete, follows through with a contact to physician office(s) for correct information prior to the blood draw.
- Responsible for labeling all specimens legibly and accurately without error at time of draw, with all pertinent information as required by hospital and departmental standards to ensure accurate result reporting.
- Follows universal precaution standards for each blood draw 100% of the time.
- Greets patient/client in a friendly manner.
- Communicates in a professional and concise manner, procedure(s) to be administered to patient for the purpose of quality patient care with no more than two valid complaints per year through patient evaluation questionnaires or other type of complaint process.
- Consistently packages specimens and requisitions immediately after blood draw for timely transport to the main laboratory. Follows all lab requirements for specimen packaging with less than 10 errors per year.
- Completes requirements of each phlebotomy request on adult, adolescent and pediatric patients promptly and returns to phlebotomy front desk for next patient/client assignment to ensure patient wait time is not compromised and to maximize efficiency of the drawstation team.
- Daily scans the Advanced Beneficiary notices for all Medicare patient draws according to department guidelines.
- Maintains record of supply inventories. Submits orders for supplies to coordinator on a weekly basis.
- Maintains log of Adverse Reactions to phlebotomy for review by supervisory staff.
- Works applicable follow-up work queues to gather missing patient information.
- When required to interact with lab staff on test criteria, conducts oneself in a professional manner at all times.
-. Consistently captures the ABN information on all Medicare patients.
- Maintains annual updates to technical competency on blood drawing technique as observed by coordinator.
- Attends continuing education lectures and staff meetings relating to compliance as required.
- Maintains cleanliness and neatness of blood draw room between each patient/client draw.
- Through a team approach maintains neatness of patient waiting area on a daily basis.
- With co-workers works to maintain cleanliness of staff lounge area.
- Assists in training new personnel using departmental training manual as reviewed by supervisory personnel.
- Communicates training procedures in a positive and effective manner to new personnel, as noted by supervisory personnel.
- Maintains documentation to be reviewed by supervisor concerning training process.
- Maintains a low ratio of errors to patients drawn.
- Enters patient lab orders efficiently to insure minimal patient wait times.
- Follows established protocols when entering patient lab orders
- Follows established specimen handling guidelines and precautions.
- Performs weekly maintenance and cleaning of centrifuge as outlined in centrifuge maintenance procedure. Updates maintenance log as required.
- Prepares specimen tracking manifest for each specimen shipment to Central Processing.
- Responsible for assuring specimen integrity from the point of obtaining the specimen at the draw station through courier pick up.
- Using hospital wide standards, creates MR numbers for new patients in the YNHH HIS and creates a complete registration.
- Updates established patient records in the YNHH HIS and creates HAR and CSN components for Laboratory Medicine DOS as needed
- Obtains and scans all required patient registration forms including HIPAA, Financials, Photo ID, and Insurance Cards in the YNHH HIS
- As needed, produces Laboratory Medicine ABN's, provides financial consultation regarding these forms to patients, obtains patient signature, and scans signed form into YNHH HIS
High school diploma. Completion of an approved Phlebotomy certification course or equivalent experience with on the job training.
A minimum of one year of current phlebotomy experience OR successful completion of a YNHHS Laboratory Medicine Phlebotomy Internship.
Phlebotomy Certification or equivalent.
Knowledge of Phlebotomy and medical terminology. Ability to effectively convey instructions to patients and students. Basic computer and keyboarding skills required. Ability to problem-solve and work independently.
Performs a variety of special Phlebotomy tests on adults, adolescents and pediatric patients in a timely and accurate manner without compromising patient care. Must have reliable transportation as the position requires traveling to multiple sites on a regular basis. Must be flexible with regard to hours worked to meet the coverage needs of the draw stations. Participates in teaching Phlebotomy procedures to other staff members.
Excellent customer service skills, interpersonal skills and the ability to work in a team approach