To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values - integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion - must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
The Patient Service Associate III serves to coordinate patient care and physician activity by greeting all patients/visitors, answering telephone calls, scheduling appointments, maintaining patient medical records, and supporting providers. The position requires an individual with knowledge of medical office operations. Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- 1. Maintain appointment schedule template (alterations, deletions, additions).
- 1.1 Responsible for communicating schedule changes to the appropriate staff members and physicians/providers.
- 2. In coordination with the practice supervisor, support ongoing operation of the practice site to ensure that quality services provided are cost effective and efficient.
- 2.1 Receive patient at arrival and verify and obtain all necessary information and signatures in accordance
with NEMG policies and procedures
- 3. Answer telephone calls to office, assists callers in a pleasant manner, takes accurate and complete
messages and refer callers to appropriate personnel when necessary.
- 3.1 Maintain proper telephone etiquette when speaking with patients/companies and healthcare team.
- 4. When necessary, executes all necessary pre-authorizations as required by insurance companies for upcoming diagnostic tests and procedures.
- 4.1 Track referrals coming into the practice.
- 5. Maintain electronic medical records and/or paper medical charts in accordance with NEMG policies and
- 6. Responsible for daily activities including but not limited to message retrieval from answering service, voicemail, retrieval and distribution of faxes, filing, photocopying, opening and sorting mail.
- 6.1 Forwards phones to answering service and notifies answering service about the physicians on-call status.
- 7. Collect and reconcile co-pay collections/cash drawers (cash, checks, credit card payments) within Epic in accordance with NEMG policy and procedures.
- 7.1 Carry out deposit tool and make bank deposits as needed
- 8. Collaborate in the development of and contributes to individual team, and department quality improvement and evaluation activities.
- 8.1 Attend and actively participate in staff meetings
- 9. Utilize appropriate methods for interacting effectively and professionally with persons of all ages and from diverse cultural, socioeconomic, educational, racial and ethnic backgrounds, sexual orientations, lifestyles and physical abilities.
- 9.1 Coordinate efforts to gain patient and family feedback regarding their experiences of healthcare (focus groups, surveys and other means) and participate in interventions which address articulated needs.
- 10. Performs all other related/additional tasks as requested by physicians and/or management.
- 10.1 Provide cross coverage as needed
High School degree or equivalent required, relevant postsecondary certificate or some college preferred.
Minimum of 3-5 years applicable work experience in a primary care or specialist office or hospital setting required.
Excellent, organizational, communication, customer service and teamwork skills required.
Ability to multi-task is essential.
EMR experience preferred and working knowledge of Microsoft office applications required.
Core philosophy or values consistent with a patient-centered approach to care.
Demonstrates professional, appropriate, effective and tactful written, verbal and nonverbal communication with
patients, families, medical staff, colleagues, vendors, and other departments throughout the continuum of care to
promote continuity of care and services and enhance clinical image.