To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values - integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion - must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
Supports and facilitates the sterile processing function. Coordinates and delegates the daily activities of the staff in the unit or on the shift to meet customer needs and to resolve problems. Monitors the workflow and reviews work as necessary. Facilitates communication between shifts. Performs the duties of the Instrument Technician II according to department procedures to decontaminate, clean, sort, inspect, organize, wrap, make and sterilize medical/surgical instruments. Is responsible for the maintenance, repair and/or replacement of all instruments for the Operating Room and Sterile Processing Department Tray. Must have complete familiarity with the Instrument Tracking system to include maintenance, input, updating, and tracking instrument loss and repair.
- 1. Coordinates and prioritizes the sterilization process on the shift to ensure timely delivery of trays to the Operating room for cases
- 2. Demonstrates competency to manage an effective surgical repair and replacement program.
- 2.1 1. Determines need for maintenance, repair, or replacement of instruments. Provides preventative maintenance as necessary and returns to set. Performs minor repairs or sends for outsourced repair company. 2. Makes accurate determination for replacement of instruments based on standardization, current use and manufacturer availability. 3. Utilizes system to send instruments out for repair, or order new instruments as required. Maintains mobile repair schedule. Maintains refurbishment schedule for instruments sets. Receives repair information, verifies and records in repair logs. Identifies and tracks trends in damaged and or lost instruments. Indicates in Instrument Tracking System (ABACUS) when sets are out for repair or have returned.
- 3. Demonstrates knowledge and skill to maintain all aspects of the SPD/OR Instrument Tracking System.
- 3.1 1. Demonstrates understanding of Tracking System. 2. Updates set master files monthly including reorder and pricing information. Provides reports and analysis of set utilization as needed. Inputs new information for all instruments, trays, sets and accessories. 3. Creates and updates inventory sheets and cards, as needed. Provides information to OR Head Nurse or clinician.
- 4. Maintains and fosters positive, effective and open communications between SPD, OR, Purchasing, Clinical Engineering, MSC.
- 5. Performs all the functions of an Instrument Technician as required, based upon workload.
- 5.1 1. Decontaminates according to SPD policy. 2. Adheres to accepted practices in the cleaning, assembly, sterilization and distribution of surgical and patient care equipment. 3. Adheres to accepted SPD and HSR Infection Control Policy. 4. Completes Orientation and Training in prescribed fashion and time. 5. Performs other duties as necessary and required. 6. Works independently on off shifts when scheduled.
- 6. Records and monitors critical indicators according to recommended policy.
- 6.1 1. Reads all indicators chemical, biological, mechanical, and responds accordingly based on policy and processes to ensure sterility to customers. 2. Accurately records and completes all necessary information on department logs to ensure sterility to customers. 3. Reports and responds according to department and HSR policy in all occurrences of malfunction or indication of non-sterility (i.e., recall). 4. Follows SPD count sheet policy.
- 7. Fosters an environment conducive to building teamwork and effective communication.
- 7.1 1. Adopts SPD principals and values in daily behavior and departmental operations. 2. Takes an active role in departmental and cross-functional team activities, when asked. 3. Brings Team projects to conclusion on time and communicate results to all associates. 4. Participates in hospital-based and outside professional development and self-improvement opportunities.
- 8. Utilizes Daily Management Tools and nurtures a basic understanding of process and quality improvement philosophy
- 8.1 1. Demonstrates an understanding of process improvement as it is applied in SPD, process management tools (i.e., flow charts, affinity diagram, fishbone diagram). 2. Understands the customer/supplier relationship and its importance in improving quality and processes. 3. Takes a pro-active empowered approach to department problem solving activities.
- 9. Demonstrates knowledge of JCAHO and its relationship with SPD and HSR.
- 9.1 1. Has an understanding of JCAHO and its impact on HSR/SPD policies and procedures. 2. Assists with and participates in JCAHO inspection preparation.
- 10. Demonstrates processing skills in specialization instrumentation in the role of Instrument Technician.
- 10.1 1. Able to fully process power equipment, laproscopic, endoscopic and fiber optic equipment. 2. Able to identify special needs of equipment sent to SPD for reprocessing following SPD guidelines and policies. 3. Effectively utilizes contact individuals in SPD and OR's to improve communication/training education/instrument management.
High school graduate or equivalent. Maintains national certification (CSPDT) with documented proof of current certification status. Current LPN licensure is acceptable in place of CST certification **Employees employed by YNHH effective 9/12/2012 as a result of the acquisition of the Hospital of St Raphael may meet educational requirements with the applicable combination of education and experience and demonstration of current competences.
Two (2) to five (5) years experience as an Instrument Technician II or III within the Yale-New Haven Health System, or Leadership and/or Supervisory experience from an outside hospital facility. Must be able to function expertly (as a resource) in his/her main specialties
Knowledge of decontamination/sterilization techniques and familiarity with surgical instrumentation. Requires intermediate computer skills and the ability to learn and utilize Instrument Tracking System (ABACUS). Ability to work with Operating Room nurses to update trays contents and count sheets. Full time status necessary. Must have demonstrated accountability, organization and communication skills.
Must meet physical demands of Instrument Technician position. Must be able to lift a minimum of 30 pounds. May be required to lift to 50 pounds on occasion.