To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values - integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion - must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
Under the direct supervision of the System Director, Patient Experience Operations, the manager administers the Language Services Program. This position is responsible for document translation services and interpretive staff. The manager advocates for the hospital's commitment to exceptional patient care and assures compliance with all departmental and YNHH policies to reinforce the TJC requirements regarding the communication needs of Limited English Proficiency (LEP), deaf and hard of hearing and blind and visually impaired patients.
- 1. Oversees the daily program operation, to include the operational and fiscal responsibility decisions within the language services department
- 2. Ensures that the needs of Limited English Proficiency patients and their families are met through hospital policy and procedure development, communication and monitoring.
- 3. In collaboration with the System Director, Patient Experience Operations implements program policies and procedures to assure smooth, efficient operation of the Language Services Department with attention to quality and cost effectiveness of service and corporate compliance and governmental regulations.
- 4. In collaboration with the System Director, Patient Experience Operations and the Senior Operations Analyst tracks program trends with regard to language, volume, resource allocation, program costs and end-user demographics. Analyzes trend information and makes recommendations to hospital management.
- 5. Works closely with Information Systems personnel to develop the necessary tools to effectively provide accurate data collection and reporting.
- 6. In collaboration with the System Director Patient Experience Operations develops resources for the acquisition of written translation services.
- 7. Assist with the management of invoices and subcontractor/vendor bills for Language Services to assure that accurate and timely invoices are processed to provide prompt distribution and collection of revenues and expenses.
- 8. Staff and volunteer recruitment training and supervision
- 9. Interviews, screens and selects Language Services employees, to include Medical Interpreters and translation staff Recommends changes in compensation, promotions, transfers, termination, disciplinary action and other personnel actions. Manages and monitors staff productivity, attendance and assignments.
- 10. Conducts annual reviews for all direct reports.
- 11. Recruits, screens, trains and supervises per diem, casual status, work-study students and volunteers.
- 12. Works closely with Human Resource Department to develop policies and helps manage a program of recruiting, screening of YNHH employees to identify bilingual competency
- 13. In Collaboration with the System Director, Patient Experience Operations, develops and implements tools to monitor effectiveness of interpreter service.
- 14. Responsible for providing services to YNHH sites and its offsite/satellite locations
- 15. Develops and implements training programs and conducts departmental staff meetings with hospital staff regarding language services, legal obligations, policies and procedures.
- 16. Acts as a resource consultant on issues of interpreting for persons who are deaf, hard of hearing, who have limited proficiency in English or blind/visually impaired. Shares information on hospital policy, patient rights, laws and regulations governing interpreting.
- 17. Develops methods for disseminating information regarding resources available at YNHH to satisfy the interpreting needs of deaf, hard of hearing and the LEP patient population.
- 18. In collaboration with the Assistant Manager of Language Services will ensure compliance of all staff members to include all department and hospital mandatory requirements
- 19. The Manager of Language services is responsible and will be held accountable to ensure compliance of the TJC requirements as it pertains to language services, to include but not limited to HR files, staff certification etc.
- 20. In collaboration with the Assistant Manager of Language services will be required to hold monthly staff meetings with all staff members
- 21. The Manager of Language services will ensure all direct reports comply with all departmental and YNHH policies and procedures.
- 22. The Manager of language services will be responsible to review and investigate and ensure timely responses to all complaints and grievances
- 23. The Manager of Language services will be required to be familiar with scheduling templates and workflows for the language services department within EPIC.
- 24. The Manager in conjunction with the Assistant manager and the Lead Interpreter will be required to be on call.
- 25. The Manager will be responsible to ensure accurate timekeeping of all direct reports
*Bachelor's degree required, master's degree preferred. *Candidates pursuing a Bachelor degree will be considered, provided they obtain the degree within 2 years of accepting position.
A minimum of (5) years experience within a healthcare setting. Demonstrated experience in program development, managing employees and organizational skills.
Sound judgment and problem solving skills. Strong interpersonal and customer service skills. Excellent writing and proof reading skills, able to provide critical thinking for complex situations which may arise. Competency with computer software and database management. Demonstrated skills in developing programs and systems which promotes culturally competent care throughout the institution.
Scope of Supervision includes recruitment, supervision, training and provide disciplinary action as needed.